RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:23 pm 

I was in the first batch of folks to be issued an IL concealed carry permit 5 years ago. Mine was set to expire 4/17/2019.

Over the winter I took the required refresher course and passed the range qualification. Hearing rumors that the IL State Police were ill-prepared for the influx of renewals, I wanted to get my papers in early. (Now, why on earth they'd be caught off guard or surprised by this influx of renewals is beyond me.)

Cutting to the chase, I applied for renewal March 2 and it was processed and approved July 10. The good news is they didn't back date my new permit to March or even April. It is effective July 10.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:48 pm 
Single-Sixer

Really, you got yours, I've been waiting since March, that's when they took my money, I wonder if we were in the same renewal class, GRFT ? I used a revolver, only one on the range that day.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:01 pm 

WISE for me.

I qualified with a revolver the first time but used a Glock 43 at this one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:12 am 
Hawkeye

I guess the bad news is you were not able to legally carry for almost 3 months?

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:04 am 

Actually.....state police said to carry your proof of renewal with you and you'd be considered legal.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:09 am 
Single-Sixer

I would get the IL. license but $150.00 for the class and $5oo.oo for the non resident is way too much.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:16 pm 

IL could take a lesson from UT on the CCW issue.

Applied on line to renew my UT permit July 23. Got it in the mail today July 29.

IL not a model of efficiency. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:37 am 
Blackhawk

rimmer wrote:
I would get the IL. license but $150.00 for the class and $5oo.oo for the non resident is way too much.

Om not sure of the advantages of a NR Ill permit. Id never pay $500 for any permit. Here in MI we get (res) ripped for about $115 for a renewal. the State police cant explain where about 8-12 MILLION $$ of that money goes. These permits are definitely a CASH cow for many states. We provide lots of employment w/ our $$.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:14 pm 
Blackhawk

Well actually ever day after you certify and submitted is a free day. THAT is probably the ONLY thing you will get in this state. my daughter does the paper work, ETC. for our classes and tells me to quit worrying about it. Nice to see folks that i have known all my life still ALIVE 5 years later and healthy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:28 pm 
Single-Sixer

For how many years ?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:39 am 
Hunter

Between the classes and fees there is no way I could afford it here.
It works out great for the Libs, make it difficult to get and too expensive for many.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:28 am 
Hawkeye

Maybe someday ILL and the other States that tread on your freedoms will come to their senses and eliminate all that expensive and useless BS.

We used teeth before the sword.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:37 am 
Hunter

IL only allows concealed carry because the Federal court forced the state to do so. When the total ban on concealed carry was ruled unconstitutional the state was given six months to come up with a concealed carry law or face possible "Constitutional carry", i.e., no need for a license or permit at all, to become the law of the land. The current law reflects the reality that much of the legislature did not want to give us this right at all. So the law includes a list of 23 categories of places where concealed carry is not allowed. And it requires significant expense, reducing the likelihood that the poor and minority population will ever be able to legally carry. I have no doubt that the majority of the legislature, and our current governor, would repeal the concealed carry law in a heartbeat if they could get away with it.

FWIW, I was in the batch of folks that got their concealed carry license as early as was possible when the law went into effect on 1/1/14. My renewal process went smoothly and relatively quickly, about 30 days if I recall. The only frustrating thing was that they dated the renewal based upon when I sent it in, rather than 5 years from the previous expiration date, so I "lost" three months of coverage.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell