RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unarmed road trip
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:44 am 
Hawkeye

Don't have any choice. This coming week I'm participating in an all day work trip and we're carpooling in a government tagged van. No guns but knives and walking sticks are allowed. Very doubtful anyone is going to be interested in a van load of grumpy 50-70 year old men in a mini-van?
Next week is a totally different scenario. One geezer driving alone but armed to the teeth. I have another trip to St Louis but it's POV(personally owned vehicle) transportation so only restricted while actually in the meeting room.

Post subject: Re: Unarmed road trip
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:55 am 
Hawkeye

I thought you worked for an government agency? A shame that they can infringe on a GOD GIVEN RIGHT! Good luck!
gramps, yeah, I am grumpy too!

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:27 am 
Hawkeye

gramps wrote:
A shame that they can infringe on a GOD GIVEN RIGHT!

Since when is carpooling a God given right?
It's a choice he is making to save money.
Said choice involves restrictions, that he can avoid by driving himself.
How is ANY of that an infringement of rights? - - - It isn't.

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:37 am 
Hawkeye

Yes, I do and I find it disgusting that even wearing the agency "badge" doesn't exempt me from the "no weapons" signs within their buildings/vehicles. Only LEO actually "on the job" can enter with a "weapon" (includes knives but nobody seems to get wound up over a knife).
I have to go through the metal detector to enter the headquarters of one of my employing agencies and submit to physical search if they see something suspicious. I only go there if absolutely necessary.
The other agency isn't as picky but I have to show my badge from outside before the receptionist will unlock the entry door. No badge= no access unless/until ID is established by an administrative staff member. I showed up there once w/o the proper badge to find that my immediate supervisor was out to lunch and then spent 5 minutes waiting until one of the guys from another section recognized my name and let me in. I haven't forget my badge again after that episode.

"Since when is carpooling a God given right?
It's a choice he is making to save money.
Said choice involves restrictions, that he can avoid by driving himself.
How is ANY of that an infringement of rights? - - - It isn't."

Actually, NO it isn't "my choice". It's not MY money that's being saved. The State Director made the choice that all of us would ride in the "company van" to save money on HIS budget.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:06 am 
Hunter

No surprise that the government is so anti-gun. I served on active military duty for 24 years, and it would be hard to find a more anti gun organization than the U.S. Army. Living on base for most of those years, even as an officer, I had to register every gun with the Military Police. Enlisted soldiers living in the barracks had to surrender any personal firearms which could then be checked out for use if going to the range or hunting or something similar. While stationed in Germany, during a period in which there were some attacks on U.S. military by German left wing terrorists (Baader Meinhof gang), we posted guards at the gates to our military compound. But the guards had only unloaded weapons because our commanding general said he did not trust the soldiers if they were carrying loaded guns. It would be hard to get more anti gun than that. So seeing Federal agencies behave as you describe does not surprise me at all.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 1:39 pm 
Hunter

Yup, the Army can be kinda strange when it comes to firearms..... at Firebase Mahone in '69-'70, you were to be armed at all times. Going to the mess tent? Bring your M-16 (and a couple magazines). Going to the outhouse? Bring your M-16. Going to Battalion HQ in Lai Khe? Check your M-16 with the armorer and pick it up when you leave.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:54 pm 
Hunter

Concerns with possible fragging? I was with the 326th Med Bn, 101 Abn (Airmobile). I stayed armed 24/7 just to be safe. As a Captain, no one ever questioned me about it, and the Battalion Commander, who was never armed while at our Bn HQ, used to joke that he felt safe because I was armed and ready. FWIW, we never had a fragging in the 326th, despite the fact that some of my fellow officers were real a—holes.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:08 pm 
Hawkeye

I guess it makes the "cubicle dweebs" feel safer.
At the local level, I've never been challenged or even asked if I'm armed but still don't push the issue. I walk in, show the badge if asked(not that often since they already know I'm coming), and have access to the entire site. Once inside the office, everyone there basically works for me. If I need something, I just ask and someone comes up with what I need ASAP. I like that so don't abuse the privileges.
2019 will probably be my last on that job as I have so much other stuff going on with the promotion on the other job and since the agency has added 2x more employees for the same amount of work I wouldn't be working nearly as much anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:09 am 
Hunter

I'm a Kentucky state employee, and there is no overall law or regulation that prohibits carry on state property or in state vehicles. Now, there are individual buildings and agencies that prohibit it, as well as places such as correctional facilities where it is already prohibited by law. I'm taking my morning break in the office and carrying as I write this.

"It ain't who shoots first and it ain't who shoots most; it's who HITS first. A corollary - the sooner you kill that SOB, the sooner he'll quit shooting at you. The ability to hit what you're shooting at trumps all others, and hanging 47 accessories from a cheese-grater forearm and having a 30 round magazine won't help that - practice will." -Rugerforum.com member WWB