RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:21 am 
Hunter

I just attended a four day defensive handgun course at Front sight. It was was a blast, (pun intended) yet very intense and educational. Even though I have been shooting for 60 years, I learned a lot of little things.

I bought a Diamond level life membership at a Friends of the NRA banquet for $525.00. This allows me to attend any courses as many times as I like, all for free. Look forward to returning.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:08 am 
Hawkeye

Rumrunner wrote:
I bought a Diamond level life membership at a Friends of the
NRA banquet for $525.00. This allows me to attend any courses
as many times as I like, all for free. Look forward to returning.

WOW!

I wish I knew about that when I was agile enough to take advantage.
Add to that being in AZ I would have a significantly shorter commute.
Hope you enjoy many "returns". :D

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:30 am 
Hawkeye

It may sound strange... but I've taken that same class every year for the last 4 years. I go with a group and we do have a blast and yes it is an intense experience that teaches you a lot. My goal again this coming December is to make Distinguished Graduate.... I think they have tightened up on the scoring of the final test and that was my problem this last time. I did make one goal this last time out, I aced the shooting part.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:14 am 
Hunter

There is a group from the NRA near me going in Oct. They go every year. Doubt I can make it this year, but plan on next year. Cheaper with a group. Out of the 35 in my class, most had already attended at least once before.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:54 pm 
Hawkeye

I've got the diamond membership but haven't made it yet. I'm really wanting to.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:08 am 
Hawkeye

The facility and staff are top notch for sure. Once you get past Dr. P's over the top marketing, it is really a great training facility. The thing that amazed me the first time I went after getting an email every day wanting me to up my membership in the future compound was that when I actually got there they did not push or try to sell you anything. I was sure they were going to put me in a room for an hour and try and sell me a time share... but other than one video promo before a class started.... not a speck of sales.

CSIA #599 DCS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:20 am 
Hunter

During lunch they have a speaker or video for a certain products, but there is no pressure to buy. Just information on products or services in case you are interested.

There is a 2 day class I may attend next time. All shooting, and some reactive targets.

BPJ. Do it!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:57 pm 
Hawkeye

Which class was the first one you guys took?

Rumrunner, what is the 2 day class? Is there a particular order they require for the classes?

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:52 am 
Hawkeye

First thing to understand is you really don't have to pay their advertised price for most classes.... there is a legit way to get around that, if you know someone who is a lifetime member....

It sounds redundant, but I've taken their 4 day defensive handgun class four times and every time have gotten something out of it. I would like to advance up to their next class or take a different one but the guy who kind of host our event goes to this one every year and so it seems we are kind of roped in.... The issue is he drives his RV over the mountains from California to stay nearby in Pahrump while several of us have to fly out from the east coast and stay at the Best Western.... I've gotten it down to costing me less than 2 grand each trip. Now here is how I manage to afford it... for me it is tax deductible.... I own and run my own business and my companies operating procedure requires that the work vehicle(s) have a gun in them. With this in mind each employee must take a minimum of 4 days of weapons training a year.

That reminds me... I need to do my taxes.

CSIA #599 DCS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:01 pm 
Hunter

Being a diamond member, the classes are free other than a $50.00 / year background check. I took the same class that Blume has taken. this was my first time there.

The 2 day class is strictly shooting, including targets that are timed and turn sideways where you can't shoot them.

Their course page shows which classes you can take without any prerequisite classes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:35 pm 
Single-Sixer

I taught at Front Sight for several years. It's an excellent value if you purchase judiciously. Certificates and memberships can be had on the cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:17 pm 
Hawkeye

I discovered the last time that I can use my "Dr. P bucks" to pay for the yearly background check.

For some reason he gave me something like $1500 in these last year... of course besides the back ground check the only other place you can spend them is in the on site store and then you are limited to what you can buy there. I suspect he's setting me up to make a down payment on one of those time shares....

CSIA #599 DCS

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:38 am 
Hunter

I'm genuinely surprised nobody has built a shooting sports oriented resort and sold time shares for it!

"It ain't who shoots first and it ain't who shoots most; it's who HITS first. A corollary - the sooner you kill that SOB, the sooner he'll quit shooting at you. The ability to hit what you're shooting at trumps all others, and hanging 47 accessories from a cheese-grater forearm and having a 30 round magazine won't help that - practice will." -Rugerforum.com member WWB

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:45 am 
Hawkeye

Dr. P has been working on it for years... I really don't see how it can work but when I was there in December they had spent a couple million on new shooting bays.... and there was a lot of heavy equipment further out in the dessert moving the ground around. I was told they had to change the original layout plan because the ground was not hard enough where they were going to build the hotel and time shares.... he does not call them time shares but something like limited ownership residences or such. Seems Front Sight has some political pull part of the land they own was in the county that Las Vegas is in and part in the county that the nearer city of Pahrump is... seems somehow the lines were moved a tad and now the county that Pahrump is in has declared itself a 2nd Amendment Sanctuary.

CSIA #599 DCS