RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:16 am 
Hawkeye

It is summertime, and the violence has really taken off. Went to a “music on the square” last night. Instead of a revolver, I took my KelTec P-11, and an extra magazine. With the LCP serving as BUG, also with extra magazine. My friend also was packing an LCP concealed-her first time!
gramps

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:26 am 
Hunter

I have started to carry for the location. S&W 642 2" 5 shot small light local carry. Glock 26 9mm big city carry. Glock 30 45acp bad area carry. Recently bought a LCP for local carry.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:11 am 
Blackhawk

Ordered a Sig 365 for general purpose. 10 + 1 in the pipe in a very compact package.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:09 pm 
Hawkeye

I've got to admit I have made a change, sadly. I no longer carry a single action revolver. Much as I love them, and shoot them well, they just aren't, geesh I hate this word, tactically advantageous.

I'm sticking with a 1911 with two spare mags. I'm also carrying my AMT .45 Backup. Paranoid? Probably, but it isn't paranoia if they really are out to get you. And it seems that these days they are.

Most of us spend our time when out and about in "soft target" areas. We can't totally avoid the rest of the human race or places where it gathers. When Walmart becomes the scene of a shooting it makes it plain that anywhere is a potential location for problems.

I find myself avoiding "gun free" zones. It's not just the hassle of what to do with my firearms when I enter them, it's that these are the ideal targets for shooters. They may be stone dog nuts, but they aren't stupid! Few really want to be killed if they can get away with it.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:39 pm 
Hawkeye

Jeepnik wrote:
I've got to admit I have made a change, sadly. I no longer carry a single action revolver. Much as I love them, and shoot them well, they just aren't, geesh I hate this word, tactically advantageous.

I'm sticking with a 1911 with two spare mags. I'm also carrying my AMT .45 Backup. Paranoid? Probably, but it isn't paranoia if they really are out to get you. And it seems that these days they are.

Most of us spend our time when out and about in "soft target" areas. We can't totally avoid the rest of the human race or places where it gathers. When Walmart becomes the scene of a shooting it makes it plain that anywhere is a potential location for problems.

I find myself avoiding "gun free" zones. It's not just the hassle of what to do with my firearms when I enter them, it's that these are the ideal targets for shooters. They may be stone dog nuts, but they aren't stupid! Few really want to be killed if they can get away with it.

The FPCON used by the military is familiar to me and useful, so that's generally what I'll abide by in my personal decisions. Purely a mental exercise, I don't hang a sign around my neck. :wink:

Our local AFB, and I suspect others around the country, have been FPCON Bravo for years, occasionally bumping it up to Charlie or Charlie+. I think a couple times up to Delta, but those only lasted for a couple hours.

We used teeth before the sword.

Last edited by GunnyGene on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:26 pm 
Hawkeye

Gator89 wrote:
Ordered a Sig 365 for general purpose.
10 + 1 in the pipe in a very compact package.

Go hands on with the 12 round mag.
They are expensive but worth it. :wink:

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:27 am 
Hawkeye

Nope, no change....

Sig P239 (8+1) with a laser and one spare magazine always....

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:51 pm 
Hunter

I have been carrying a M&P 2.0 40 Compact since the first of the year. For those not familiar with that pistol it is roughly the same size as a Glock 19/23. So I have 13 + 1 in the pistol & a full sized 15 round spare magazine. Honestly I bought a CM9 a couple of years ago because I wanted something easier to conceal as I am on the security team at our church. I wanted something small to make it easier to be discreet. When I posted about getting a smaller easier to carry gun someone pointed out to me that smaller guns are harder to shoot well than larger ones. I decided to keep carrying a larger pistol so that if I ever had to use it in that environment it would be easier to make accurate shots. As for the magazine capacity, while it is not my highest priority I have never heard of anyone complaining about having too much ammunition. I have changed my carry method to appendix inside waistband when I go to church in an effort to be more discreet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:04 am 
Hawkeye

I've got so many carry options, I mostly carry one gun, which handles 16 rounds. Sometimes I bring something different if I need to absolutely be discreet even then I have choices like EC9s, LC9S pro, LCR and others. Luckily, we have very few places in this state we can't carry, courthouse, post office and such. Maybe hospitals, I'm not sure but I don't always pay attention to those signs. I'll leave IF they happen to notice which the chances of are very slim. My big decision is do I need a spare mag. The Sunday after El Paso, and Dayton, I figured, I need an extra at church. Too many copy cat "I want to be famous". Personally I like Billy the kids moto, "I'll make you famous". :mrgreen:

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:34 am 
Hunter

Most of the time I carry an LC9s. I feel very comfortable with 8 rounds available, rarely do I bother carrying a second magazine. When I ride my motorcycle, I carry a S&W 642 and feel perfectly fine relying upon its 5 rounds (I do keep a speed strip with 6 more rounds in a storage compartment on the bike). If I felt I needed more capacity I would carry my sr40c with the extended magazine, but it is not as easy to carry concealed as the much smaller lc9s. I have never carried more than one gun at a time.

Retired

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”
—Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:50 pm 
Hawkeye

My youngest is currently trying to get me to swap from my 1911's to my Glock 30. He knows better than to suggest I switch to a puny 9mm. Being an ex-Marine and current cop he keeps telling me more is better. Especially since my eyesight isn't what it once was. I guess he's implying I can't shoot as well as I once did.

But I am an old dinosaur. And I won't give up my 1911's until I can't shoot them anymore. Then I'll either be dead or shooting a .45 caliber revolver.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:21 pm 
Hunter

At church and public events, it's Glock 26 with a reload. If I need something smaller, Glock 42 with 2 reloads.

My workplace is largely unknown to people who don't work there or have longstanding business with us. It also has very limited access to the public. There, it's Glock 42 or Kimber Micro .380. Sometimes I carry my little Kel-Tec P32 with energetic lead solid reloads.

At home, its S&W 637 or Charter Arms Undercover .38 Special.

"It ain't who shoots first and it ain't who shoots most; it's who HITS first. A corollary - the sooner you kill that SOB, the sooner he'll quit shooting at you. The ability to hit what you're shooting at trumps all others, and hanging 47 accessories from a cheese-grater forearm and having a 30 round magazine won't help that - practice will." -Rugerforum.com member WWB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:56 pm 
Hawkeye

Had a meeting today with some local oil types. Now mind you these aren't suit and tie guys. And they are all shooters. So for the occasion I carried the closest thing to a BQ gun I have.
idn't feel under gunned any more than I did long ago and far away across the South China Sea.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:38 pm 
Single-Sixer

This is one of those fascinating coincidences dropped on its head. I have a pair of small Freedom Arms 45 Colt revolvers with John Powers. He is modifying them to a significantly easier to shooting hand-cock them. My MCTD has so painfully deformed my hands that shooting - using - my SP101s and LCR that have been modified to become significantly easier to use as concealed carry self defense guns are becoming unusable. Cocking and shooting the FA model 97s is much easier for me, regardless of pain level in hands. And that turns out to be because of Freedom Arms action and grip designs. I visits an outdoor super market style store. I was allowed to "work" with a stainless steel Blackhawk 454 Casull Bisley model. I could not thumb cock the Bisley hammer despite its being positioned for easier manipulation. And the grip frame, perhaps well-designed?? intended for non-arthritic hands, was pretty much as usable as a fender-bender with county sheriff's patrol truck.

So what I think about our unusual backwards coincidence is five well-directed shots will be immeasurably more useful in any self defense incident than a double action revolver whose trigger is sometimes paralyzing. Semiautomatics are much too difficult for me to manipulate than any of my revolvers. The big question mark is to practice enough the new technique to create and enhance nearly instinctive hammer cocking when under life threatening stress. I find the point shooting as taught to Chinese police in prewar Shanghai of creating nearly instinctive handgun techniques (for semiautomatic pistols) to be of greater value than more traditionally American Weaver stance or isosceles triangle grip.
Jeepnik wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:47 am 
Blackhawk

Pat-inCO wrote:
Gator89 wrote:
Ordered a Sig 365 for general purpose.
10 + 1 in the pipe in a very compact package.

Go hands on with the 12 round mag.
They are expensive but worth it. :wink:

Greg Cote is $10 under Sig website, my pair arrived yesterday.