RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:02 am 
Hunter

I normally carry an LC9s or my S&W 642 in a DeSantis pocket holster, sometimes with extra ammo, sometimes not. But yesterday I thought I would carry my largest handgun, a Glock 17. I've had an OWB kydex holster for awhile for this gun but never have made use of it. I found that under a somewhat loose fitting shirt worn not tucked in it was doable, but a bit more obvious to the trained eye than carrying a smaller gun OWB. Sitting down was a bit uncomfortable, but I will admit having this larger gun with 17+1 rounds gives me a good feeling. On the other hand, while this satisfied me that it can be done, it will not likely be my normal way of carrying day to day. And to the best of my knowledge, no one around me was aware I was carrying, which is how it should be.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:29 am 
Single-Sixer

My standard is a Sig 238. So I like this weather when I can wear a longer jacket and get away with my 5" 1911. I don't wear big coats, I prefer to have more, lighter, layers. I have a jacket that comes down to about mid-thigh. Ends up being about 3-4" below the end of the holster. It is a much better feeling carrying a full size handgun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:43 am 
Hawkeye

Last edited by WAYNO on Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:35 pm 
Hawkeye

I broke down and bought a Gen5 Glock 19 last year. I didn't care for the Gen. 4 finger grooves. It has a larger grip than I prefer, but it's not too bad. I carry it now and then, but always go back to a 1911 because they just feel right.

I didn't know that the Ruger Security-9 had come out a month or so earlier, but I like that grip better and would have bought it instead.

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:42 pm 
Single-Sixer

I've been alternating between an SR1911 and a S&W 642 with the 1911 being carried the most. After much evaluation and test firing various guns I bought a 9mm S&W shield to become my primary everyday carry about two weeks ago. Sort of the middle ground. More rounds with more energy that the 642 and conceals just as well (except for pocket carry), lighter and more compact than the 1911.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:57 pm 
Hunter

I like a compact (G-19/G-23) sized pistol for carry. Big enough to shoot well, small enough to be easy to conceal. I was thinking about looking around for a used G-23 at the end of last year. Then I realized I could buy a new S&W M&P 2.0 for about the same money as a used Glock. I wound up buying the 4" barreled version of a their compact. It comes with 4 interchangeable grip modules. It does have a bit of a hump at the back of the grip but I am getting used to it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:59 am 
Hunter

I can shoot my Glock 26 as well as any other handgun Ive ever tried, so that one is my choice as long as I have enough room to carry it.

"It ain't who shoots first and it ain't who shoots most; it's who HITS first. A corollary - the sooner you kill that SOB, the sooner he'll quit shooting at you. The ability to hit what you're shooting at trumps all others, and hanging 47 accessories from a cheese-grater forearm and having a 30 round magazine won't help that - practice will." -Rugerforum.com member WWB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:56 pm 
Buckeye

WAYNO wrote:
Interesting timing. I've been looking into Glock options again.

You might like the single stack 43 https://us.glock.com/products/G43
My Glock collection is a 17, 19, 26 and 30 all are 9mm but the 30. I generally carry my S&W 642 unless I know I going into a rougher neighborhood then it's the 26 or in sever cases the 30.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:04 pm 
Hawkeye

Last edited by WAYNO on Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:35 pm 
Hawkeye

My conceal carry options are evolutionary. “Currently”, I carry a Kimber Micro 9 or an LCPII, both in pocket holsters. I find it inconvenient and uncomfortable to carry a larger framed firearm as a conceal carry option. I have considered maybe going to a Glock 20SF 10mm, but need to come up with a method to carry it truly concealed without using a IWB holster. Stay tuned.... I will probably change my options.

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:18 pm 
Buckeye

WAYNO wrote:
RSIno1 wrote:
WAYNO wrote:
Interesting timing. I've been looking into Glock options again.

You might like the single stack 43 https://us.glock.com/products/G43
My Glock collection is a 17, 19, 26 and 30 all are 9mm but the 30. I generally carry my S&W 642 unless I know I going into a rougher neighborhood then it's the 26 or in sever cases the 30.

And yes, I know that would be a better fit, but I'm looking specifically for a full size 10mm that wont blow up.

Then Glock is not your option.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:06 pm 
Hawkeye

I don't believe you will ever see me carrying a glock, but this whole thread reminds me of some things. I like Clint Smith (Thunder Ranch) who says, "One is none, two is one, and three is better". I also have some ties to Evan Marshall, who's standard is to carry two guns minimum when he goes out. I am wondering is two regular guns is as good or better than one big gun.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:43 am 
Hunter

Bear Paw Jack - I remember when I was a kid & my Dad was service manager at the Ford dealer in Griffin, GA. He became friends with most of the Georgia State Patrol troopers there because he serviced their cars. I seem to recall him saying then that most of them carried a .357 revolver on their hip, a .25 auto in their pocket & if I recall correctly many of them kept a .44 magnum under the seat of their car. I remember one of them that spent some time talking to me showing me a sawed off shotgun he had found in a car after apprehending its driver. Of course police don't carry revolvers these days but I would think a service pistol & a smaller back up would be easiest.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:35 am 
Hawkeye

When I was an LEO, I carried a full sized 439/Sigma/4506 as a primary with an Charter Arms .38 spcl as BUG. My threat level has changed, I am a civilian, who lives in a rural area with short excursions into large cities. Which is to say, my primary is my BUG. Should I carry more? I don’t think so. I am not going to war. The only objective is to stay alive. I can do that without a weapon, but having one is icing on the cake.
gramps

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:38 am 
Hunter

I don't feel apprehensive even when the only thing I am carrying is a j-frame snubbie with 5 rounds.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell