RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:19 am 
Hawkeye

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/perso ... -nashville
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 946523002/
During arraignment the “children” were removed from the court room due to inability to remain respectful.
gramps

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 8:48 am 
Blackhawk

”Decorrius”

In my opinion, these “kids” need to be tried and sentenced as adults. No more of this ridiculous excuse making for killing someone.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:13 am 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
vito wrote:
A white person from Africa is not generally referred to as an "African American". That term has come to mean an American who is black, including people who came from the Caribbean rather than directly from African slaves brought to the U.S. It is just another term to replace what previously were called "negro" or "colored" or other less acceptable terms. Using the term for a white South African that is now an American citizen is misleading and seems intended to deliberately confuse the listener. Just my thoughts on that term.

You would prefer - Anglo-African-American? The consensus of of opinion on human origin is we all have our original ancestors in Africa. So it begs the question... how many generations must be removed before the individual loses the claim to the continent? Can I still claim the Philippines even though I've never lived there? Can I claim Australia even though I moved when I was two? Can Dad claim Europe even though his ancestors left France in the 1700's? Can Texans claim Spain since at one time that state was part of Mexico? Can native born Alaskans claim Russian heritage since Alaska was once owned by that country? Where is the dividing line? Until that is defined what the term has "come to mean" is ludicrous.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 12:02 pm 
Hunter

You are being unnecessarily argumentative. It is just common knowledge and common use of the phrase to refer to black people as African American. A white person born in Africa who becomes an American would need to be identified in another way, such as "America of South African ancestry" or something similar.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 1:53 pm 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
vito wrote:
You are being unnecessarily argumentative. It is just common knowledge and common use of the phrase to refer to black people as African American. A white person born in Africa who becomes an American would need to be identified in another way, such as "America of South African ancestry" or something similar.

Actually I'm trying to point out just how idiotic the whole concept is. If that is argumentative... I don't know how to put my answer in terms Sister Beatrice would approve of.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:40 pm 
Hawkeye

Selena wrote:
vito wrote:
You are being unnecessarily argumentative.

Actually I'm trying to point out just how idiotic the whole concept is. If that
is argumentative... I don't know how to put my answer in terms Sister
Beatrice would approve of.

Precisely! 8)

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.