RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2 rounds enough?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:58 pm 
Hawkeye

As I see it, there are 3 factors to consider:
1) Effectiveness of caliber. Lots of studies of this, with several showing little difference in effectiveness in stopping a criminal.
2) Size. There are now a number of .380's that are smaller and lighter than the derringers, and 9mm's that aren't much larger.
3) Capacity. No argument here. Six or more shots, or two shots, in a weapon of similar size and weight.
4) Cost. There are several small semi-autos that are cheaper than a Bond Arms derringer.

Add to this the difficulty of hitting anything with a derringer at anything greater than point-blank (knife-slashing) range, and I can see no good argument for limiting yourself to 2 shots.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:24 pm 
Hawkeye

How confident would I have been if restricted to 2 shots when faced with the scenario I described in my "Going out to supper" post?
I will honestly admit that I wouldn't have felt as secure as I did with a laser equipped 5 shot revolver. As it was, I had zero doubt of the outcome if I had actually felt threatened.
If I'm going to draw a gun, I sure as heck don't want the other guy to mistake it for a TOY.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:15 am 
Hunter

I just read the article by Massad Ayoob that Pat posted on the first page of this thread. Highly recommend reading it! - DixieBoy

Sure, you can trust the U.S. government. Just ask an American Indian!

#iwillnotcomplyfu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:52 am 
Hunter

I won't be surprised if some states or cities enact a "5 round limit" for handguns someday, limiting us to J frame revolvers and Derringers. Then, when criminals keep using their 17 round Glocks to kill and terrorize people, and crime does not disappear after the restrictions, the anti gun people will say 5 rounds are too many, and legal guns can only hold 2 rounds. Then we might be restricted to the old "one shot cane with a gun in the tip" and similar items. Just ranting this morning, reading about the bump stock ban going into effect with no compensation for turning them in and up to ten years in prison if you are caught with one. The 2nd Amendment is rapidly being shredded.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:30 am 
Bearcat

I have never carried anything with just two but have never felt unarmed as long as I had something which includes an NAA .22 mini revolver, which I carried for sometimes and many times it was the only thing I carried. Of course that was back when I was four years into undercover and was getting a little strange and not carrying anything until someone made me in a bar one night after that I got the .22. The point is always better to have anything then nothing good chance you won't ever need it but anything is enough till it isn't. Now days being an old retired guy most of the time it a LCP.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:52 am 
Single-Sixer

I carried my little lcr 9mm for a while and with 5 rounds felt good with it, I also carried it in the woods as well for a hiking and camping gun. Then we started having animal attacks that killed small horses and good sized calves in my area, the sheriff found tracks that suggested a mountain lion. KDFWR still won't confirm this but I live just a mile north of the Tennessee line in Kentucky and the TWRA has confirmed mountain lions in Tennessee. I went and bought me a Ruger Security 9, 15+1 makes me feel a lot better now when I'm in the woods. For city use tho the 5 rounds still would be ok but I wouldn't want to be using just a 2 rounder. my wife has took over the lcr so I am now with 15+1 everywhere, thats ok with me.