RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dog attack
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:02 am 
Hawkeye

I had a defense of life and property event yesterday AM. My Jack Russell Terrier just had to go out for a walk around 10:30. She got to sniffing around and and growling, then took off like a bat out of hades, rounded the corner to the gun range, and the dog fight commenced! I was carrying my Charter Arms Bulldog .44 spcl in a Biachi slide holster, and immediately unsnapped it and drew. All of a sudden my dog appears running straight towards me with 3-60lb+ dogs on her tail. They were my neighbor’s dogs, and they had killed a fawn last year. I fired into the ground by my feet, and then raised up the barrel. Before I could get a sight picture, all three dogs were running away with my Rosie O’Donnell in pursuit! I called my neighbor, and he said all three dogs appeared within 60 seconds of the shot. The main one was shaking all over and trying to climb into his lap! Training was successful! IMO. My neighbor is very helpful-bushhogs my land without accepting pay, so I feel I should do everything possible to not shoot his dogs if other measures suffice. If I hadn’t of had the gun things could have turned out much different!
gramps

Post subject: Re: Dog attack
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:41 am 
Hawkeye

I'm not so sure that you had "a defense of life and property event", or a 'dogs being dogs' event. Either way though, it sounds to me like a good fence is in order, or better training for some dogs...or a leash. Those might be some things that you and your neighbor should discuss while still on speaking terms, or before somebody gets hurt, maybe killed, or goes to jail...meaning that bad stuff often happens once the guns start coming out.

DGW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:48 pm 
Buckeye

Gramps, did this all occur on your property, i.e., was your dog on your property for the entire incident? What are the leash laws in your area?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:33 pm 
Hunter

Gramps while I am don't know the finer points of Tennessee's laws regarding this situation I am glad you didn't have to shoot your neighbors dogs.

I was at a family gathering at a relatives home yesterday following a memorial for an Uncle who passed recently. A couple of my cousins had brought their dogs & they attacked each other on the porch. One was on a leash & was being pulled back. The other was not restrained. I didn't want to put my hands in the middle of that mess so I grabbed the hind legs of the unrestrained one & pulled it out of the fight then grabbed its collar & got it away. Her owner thanked me later.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:45 am 
Hawkeye

Good job Mike! I am in the middle of 33 acres. My neighbor has a fence with electric augmenting at top and bottom. They don’t want their dogs shot, but realize it may happen. We live over 1,000 feet away with a deep ravine in between. Yes this occurred on my property. Tn has a leash law, meaning owners must control their dogs. It doesn’t say how. My dog was off lead under voice control on my property. DGW when 3 large dogs are running towards you under 30 feet, and closing fast, it gets the adrenaline pumping! :mrgreen: But you know that :wink:
gramps

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:44 am 
Buckeye

Back in 1988 I bought land to build a house on and raise horses. I noticed that the place next door allowed their dogs to run loose and I frequently saw them running his livestock (horses and cattle) all over his place when no one was home. One day, while I was fencing some pastures, he came over and introduced himself.During our conversation he asked why I was using smooth wire instead of barbed. I told him I had a lot of money in my horses (Warm blood jumpers) and did not want them to get cut up should they blunder into a fence line and would top the entire place with electric fencing to keep them off the fences. It was at that moment I found it appropriate to tell him that any animal running my horses would be shot on sight. He said he understood completely and from that day forward his dogs were locked in a stock trailer whenever he was not at home. He was one of the best neighbors and good friends I have ever had. :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:17 am 
Hawkeye

gramps wrote:
Training was successful!

Best outcome possible. :D

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:30 pm 
Hawkeye

Gramps, glad everything got sorted out. I can relate to the adrenalin rush in a time like that.

WELFARE WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A CAREER OPPORTUNITY
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." —

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:41 pm 
Hawkeye

I'm certainly not going to question your perception of danger. One dog on the rush is enough but 3 dogs that size is definitely several steps up the pucker factor ladder.
I had a little encounter myself today. Two loose dogs but only one was acting aggressive. The more the owner called it back, the more pushy the dog became. I didn't get nipped but was also glad to reach my pickup door. Oddly enough, I was in a good sized town that has a leash law but these dogs were loose and it was "school's out time" with kids everywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:52 am 
Hawkeye

Mobuck some people don’t have a clue about the legal problems they could face should their pet bite someone, much less a child! Glad it worked out for you.
gramps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:12 am 
Hawkeye

I deal with "farm dogs" nearly every day I'm working and seldom have any problem as long as I talk to them in a calm friendly voice. In this case, the owner had literally no control. I could feel the dog's muzzle brushing my pants leg every step. Probably means another dog had brushed against my legs earlier in the day. Seems a minor thing but that can be the trigger for the next dog to make things more personal.
I'm not at all sure about the legalities on this one. Kids were walking in the street, cutting corners in the yards, and just doing what kids do. The Middle School is just up the street so this is probably fairly normal.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:42 am 
Hawkeye

It seems that dogs are better socialized these days. Back in the mid 70’s I was a Public Health Nurse making home visits. Multiple places had vicious dogs. Fast forward to now, delivering flowers-no vicious dogs!
gramps

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:59 am 
Hawkeye

"It seems that dogs are better socialized these days. Back in the mid 70’s I was a Public Health Nurse making home visits. Multiple places had vicious dogs. Fast forward to now, delivering flowers-no vicious dogs!"

Naw, it's liability issues. Back in the 70's, there wasn't a dirty lowyer behind every tree waiting to sue the vicious dog's owner.