New Mark III Standard misfire problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Hello new to the forum here and i hope you guys can help. I just bought a Mark 3 and took it to the range today. Had a ton of misfires? Not really sure what was going on but i'll try. I would fire a round would eject and load a new one i would pull the trigger and nothing.. This would literally happen every 5 out of 10 rounds at least. Its like the hammer wasn't falling or something. I would eject the round and it would do it on the next round. No dents from firing pin. I messed around with it and found if i keep pulling the trigger it would eventully fire. I actully reloaded the ones that didn't fire and they worked again later. It happend with both Factory mags. I was shooting CCI mini-mags High V. Also when empty and i dry fire it. I can hear the click of the hammer falling every time. Hope you guys can help. THanks again.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
it's highly possible that a cleaning may be in order. Now,, since it's new to you,, & to prevent major frustration,, just get a can of spray brake or carb cleaner,,. Then,,, open the bolt, spray some inside,,, work the bolt,, a lot,, while "flushing out the innerds!" After that,, a few drops of oil internally, (don't overdo it,) working the oil in by cycling the action, try shooting it again.
It's very possible that there is some packing grease slowing down the firing pin,, or the bolt isn't getting fully seated. Quite often a new gun has grease or a small piece of whatever that causes minor hic-cups like this.
Just one possible reason.

Geezer

Single-Sixer
Yep, a good cleaning of a new Ruger will work wonders. I'm guessing that your problems will disappear.
Contender gave you the easy method but if you separate the upper from the lower, you can clean the bolt's firing pin channel where your problems are most likely coming from. You can also clean inside the frame. They come with a heavy lube for protection and this stuff will attract a lot of powder and debris making matters worse.

Since it clicks when you dry fire it but doesn't some times when you are hot firing.. I think it has something either to do with the loaded mag indicator or the mag disconnect.. still the first thing to do is just clean and was the innerds. I never saw you mention 'new', so I'm thinking this is a used one... I hate to say it, if all else fails ship it back to Ruger.

rooger

Single-Sixer
My brand new MKIII was getting frequent jams and nothing I did seemed to help so I called Ruger. They immediately emailed shipping label. After only a few days, they returned the gun, Their note said they did some work on the barrel/receiver and the extractor. I'd say that fixed about 90% of the jams. Then I removed the LCI (see other posts at this board about MKIII jams) and tried using different brands of ammo. Now I get maybe 1 jam in 100 rounds.

Tweek

Bearcat
Mine was doing the same (click-no-bang), had a bunch of gooey crud in the firing pin channel. Cleaned it out, and finally after 2 days found the firing pin return spring that launched when I was reassembling it. All back together now.

Hoping this fixes it.

rick6677

Bearcat
Same here just bought a mk3 10155 and it would fire the round eject the spent reload the new but would not reset the trigger every other shot. indicator showed it was loaded.,thought problem would go away after 175 rounds ,tried cci 1020fsand 1480fs no differance.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Those magazine discos are a "pain in the butt". One way to lose those parts is to get and install a "Sam Lam" bushing. Mags will seat much better and when it's empty, you hit the mag release and they literally shoot right out of the grip frame. Makes you sleep better at night. :lol: