Ruger auto 22 pistol assembly tool ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GD1656

Single-Sixer
I think i remember seeing an ad for something that makes assembling a Mark 1,2 or 3 easier. Does anyone know what i am talking about ? Just had a friend call me with one in pieces. I have never worked on one so i am asking here. Thanks Paul

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
There is no tool I have ever heard of.
There is a guy on this site that made a hammer strut support that when installed helps keep the hammer strut in the right position.
I installed one on my MKII's and they do help quite a bit.

I would suggest looking up a video of how to assemble it. There are lots of them out there.
It's really not that difficult.

Timely topic for me. I just pulled one of dad's french proof rst4's The bolt only opens part way and the safely won't budge. I'm guessing one of the French citizens may have done an improper takedown & re assembly. I've never done one before. You tube here we go.

GD1656

Single-Sixer
OK Jeep i will tell my 80 yo friend what you recommend-he doesnt have a manual for it and i remember seeing an ad-must have been for assembly--Thanks for your help

hpman66

Hunter
GD1656 said:
I think i remember seeing an ad for something that makes assembling a Mark 1,2 or 3 easier. Does anyone know what i am talking about ? Just had a friend call me with one in pieces. I have never worked on one so i am asking here. Thanks Paul

Here' the name & video. Unfortunately, it doesn't help getting the barrel/receiver off of the grip frame.
Gunsmither Pistol Pal for MKI™, MKII™, MKIII™, MKIV™ and 22/45™
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYJp-NiJV7g

Midway link:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007084189

There are (at least) three different items that might be helpful.

1) The Gunsmither brand "Pistol Pal" tool that hpman66 linked to is also available directly from the maker. Not necessary, but might be handy.
https://gunsmithertools.com/shop/ols/products/xn-mki-iii-pistol-pal-tool-8x7n

2) "Hammer Strut Support" is likely what Busterswoodshop is referencing. Also not necessary, but one less thing to watch during reassembly.
https://www.hammerstrutsupport.com/

3) Majestic Arms "Speed Strip" kit is another related item. Once installed, the kit introduces the requirement of a tool for disassembly. :x
The basic MK can often be disassembled w/a fingernail, once pistol has been broken down a few times.
https://majesticarms.com/product-category/speedstripkits/

Study the manual, and practice until you are proficient. "It's not that hard," but can take a while to "get it." :mrgreen:

Dan in MI

Staff member
golferboy426 said:
Timely topic for me. I just pulled one of dad's french proof rst4's The bolt only opens part way and the safely won't budge. I'm guessing one of the French citizens may have done an improper takedown & re assembly. I've never done one before. You tube here we go.

You have the classic "hammer strut in the wrong place" situation. This what everyone wines about on MK series. Read the manual, take it down, reassemble, shoot.

Jeepnik said:
Yes, there is a tool. It is very easy to use. In fact you likely started to use it in the first grade. It's called READ THE MANUAL. It spells out how to correctly assemble them quite clearly.

I would counter that it tells you how to assemble them...But NOT quite clearly. It can be done, but just go slow and follow the directions, and pay attention to the pictures in the manual, it shows how to hold the pistol, i.e. upside down etc.

If someone doesn't have the directions, or the manual, you can print them out from Ruger's website. I keep a spare copy tucked away with my gun cleaning supplies.

contender

Ruger Guru
If your friend doesn't have a manual,, download (like mentioned above,) or call Ruger & they will mail one for FREE!!!!!!!!!

The gun was designed to NOT need tools. Following the correct procedure IS required.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
For the most part, and if we're discussing the simple "field dis and then reassembly" where just the upper is removed, then no, no assembly tools required. Now, if you think you might want to make sure that the bolt stop pin for the holes in the receiver and in the grip frame are in perfect alignment, you might consider using the mainspring housing bolt stop pin to verify the alignment from above:

IcStn6Nl.jpg

If said pin goes through from above, it will surely go in from the bottom and then up.

If we are discussing complete disassembly, and then reassembly, the best helping tool would be a good bench vise to hold the grip frame steady while all the internal parts are put back in.

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Here is a link to the one you may be thinking of:
https://www.therighttoolcompany.com/product/all-in-one-tool-ruger-mark-series-pistol-tool-kit/

The cardboard stand is mostly useless but the plastic tool is quite handy. I broke a part of mine using it to "nudge" a stiff bolt stop pin out but it's still worth the $28. There's a slot for opening the mainspring (Not your pocket knife please!) and several other things it helps with. My main use is for shoving the mainspring/bolt stop back in place. Yes, a dowel will do it too but this is a pretty interesting gadget. That said... I don't think I used it in any of my Ruger Mark takedown videos. Still it's plastic, my favorite substance for working on the Mark pistols.

TomD

All the talk of 'tools' got me thinking. I have a few different models and have disassembled a couple totally. The only 'tools' I used was my screwdriver tip to remove the grips and flip the latch to pull the pin. The only other was a punch. I just don't understand the need for 'special' tools.

Fox Mike said:
All the talk of 'tools' got me thinking. I have a few different models and have disassembled a couple totally. The only 'tools' I used was my screwdriver tip to remove the grips and flip the latch to pull the pin. The only other was a punch. I just don't understand the need for 'special' tools.

Apparently FM we are unusual critters in that we have superhuman abilities to disassemble and reassemble one of the simplest semiautos around. If you think about it, the 1911 only needs the same two (actually if you don't pull the grip panels you technically don't need any tools).

Latest posts