25 round magazine headaches

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I found a simple cure for at least some of those headaches. I found that using a loop of smallish rubber bands to support the lower end of the magazine seems to improve feeding on both Ruger factory and Butler Creek 25 round mags in my 77/22. I get handfuls of rubber bands that are approx 2.5" diameter unstretched. Three of these looped together and slightly stretched from the mag base over the barrel and back to the mag base holds the mag at a better angle for feeding.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Sounds like your accomplishing the same thing as the Tactical Innovations 10/22 mags. They have four screws that you adjust to change angle and tightness of magazine fit. They work very well and repeatable results mag to mag.

I've been testing the "rubber band fix" on one aftermarket mag that previously had been a fail to feed on every round. Three full mags with only a couple of chokes later I'm satisfied. I'm running this mag in my old 77/22 operating the bolt as fast as I can manage so there is a fair chance for misfeeds although not as much as on a 10-22.