Federal "Auto Match"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Shoots darned good in my 77/22. Not X-ring potential but 9-ring all day long. I hadn't had the 77/22 out for a while and needed some non-bench trigger time so I took a 25 & 10 round mag to my range and gave the 2" swingers on the 50 yard hanger a good pounding. The only misses were my fault. If I stay diligent and do this 3-5 times a week for the next 2 weeks, no doubt I'll be ready for bambi whackin.

Twenty five shots this evening with 2 misses and those were as I was trying to flip the swingers over the top bar by timing my shots on the moving discs instead of just squeezing off shots when they were stationary.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
Shoots darned good in my 77/22. Not X-ring potential but 9-ring all day long. I hadn't had the 77/22 out for a while and needed some non-bench trigger time so I took a 25 & 10 round mag to my range and gave the 2" swingers on the 50 yard hanger a good pounding. The only misses were my fault.
From what shooting position?

"From what shooting position?"

Sitting on the ground as I would if hunting and using either a 2 leg "BogPod" or my homemade bamboo crossed shooting sticks. True hunting practice shifting between 3 targets and keeping all three in motion. The target hanger is 4' wide with 2 four inch targets and 3 two inch hung from different length straps. I don't shoot the 4" targets- just the 2" so there's quite a bit of lateral moving between shots. I'm also using the bolt action to be more realistic since I hunt with a Savage 110.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Mobuck said:
"From what shooting position?"

Sitting on the ground as I would if hunting and using either a 2 leg "BogPod" or my homemade bamboo crossed shooting sticks. True hunting practice shifting between 3 targets and keeping all three in motion. The target hanger is 4' wide with 2 four inch targets and 3 two inch hung from different length straps. I don't shoot the 4" targets- just the 2" so there's quite a bit of lateral moving between shots. I'm also using the bolt action to be more realistic since I hunt with a Savage 110.
Then that's not bad shooting at all. :wink:

If you'd said you'd been consistently hitting 2" targets @ 50 from standing, I'd have said GREAT shooting! :wink:

I moved the target hanger out a bit more so now @ 70 yards from the shooting point. Even more challenging with the 15 mph wind gusts but still hitting better than 90% on the 2 inchers. I did have to crank the scope to 9x to get a clear sight picture on the unpainted targets that blurred out against the brown grass background @ 4x. Reaching the point of making allowance for the yardage and possibly approaching the physical accuracy of rifle/ammo.
FWIW The rifle has been no better than 4 MOA using Blazer or Wildcat ammo. I'd not previously tried the Federal AM in this rifle so seems I've been missing out.

I was having a good day today and got a couple of groups @ the 70 yard target hanger. One 5 shot @ 1/2" and another @ 3/4". I've had this rifle for decades and it's never done this well. At this rate, maybe I need to upgrade the optic and see if it gets even better.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
Federal AutoMatch use to be my go to ammo. It really shoots well out of all my .22s. Recently I've been getting a lot of failures to fire with it and it's not just me. My shooting buddy has the same problems out of his Ruger Mark III Hunter (I have the same gun) a Browning Buck Mark and a Taurus revolver so it's not the guns causing the problem.

I've since switched to CCI Blazer for my primary practice ammo and my Steel Challenge Match ammo.

JStacy

Blackhawk
My 541S shoots it great , only gun i have that really likes it. Blazers always shoot better in my Ruger MKII's

"I have several boxes put back for hard times."
When ammo prices sort of returned to "normal", I bought a mixed lot of 8-9K rounds of 22lr. Most of it was Federal AM and Blazer with some other assorted brands. I'd already bought a case of fresh Fed AM so I'm pretty well stocked on the 22 ammo that most of my guns shoot well. I am cutting back on the use of the sub-sonic ammo( OK it's hoarding) since it may be the key to surviving the Zombie apocalypse that's looming .