Ruger vs. CZ

Help Support Ruger Forum:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
A friend recently bought a CZ 457. Adjustable stock, nice rifle. With a Vortex scope. I brought a 77/22, early model with black butt piece. 2 10/22's, a Target, .920" barrel And an International model, full length stock. My 77/22 shot the tightest groups at 50 yrds. Remington Golden. Several shots touching, some in same hole. And it has a small Weaver scope. Jim bought a " Know Your Limit" target from Amazon. $150. Smallest is .250" wide. Worst group was Target model. I cannot get that rifle to shoot well. Beautiful, but not accurate. This Ruger is going to be traded. I have $350 in it,,, now let's see what I come home with!

All I can say is that Son's CZ convertible(22LR/22WMR/17HMR by simply switching barrels and mags) is far more accurate using the 17HMR barrel than either my RAR or 77/17 and is noticeably more accurate shooting 22's than my 77/22 or any of the 10-22's. It's a close call between the CZ and the 22lr RAR but the RAR beats the CZ shooting sub-sonics through the muffler.
I like the CZ but was put off from buying one until they corrected the bassackwards safety positions. Decades ago I had a Marlin 22 mag that had a backward safety and was scared spitless when I found that the guy who was riding with me while coyote hunting hadn't looked at the markings and had been handling the rifle all day with the safety in the rearward (OFF) position. Toward the end of the day, he did actually get a chance to shoot and pushed the safety forward but of course no bang. When he asked if I knew it had an problem, I discovered the error.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
CZ's make fine rifles. We tried a few different brands of .22. And my buddy shot a tighter group with Ruger 77/22 than his CZ. That target has 8 swinging bars. 2" dia on left, progressively smaller till just .250" bar on right. I started with smallest target with full length stock 10/22". It's a better shooter than .920" Target. I can't figure it out. I watched a girlfriend put 3 shots in a target , 100 yrds, that a dime covered. I was watching her and didn't look at target until that night. I was impressed!

Snake45

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:
And the ammo that shot the best,,, Remington Golden. I've enjoyed those for 50 years. I hope I can buy these in future.
My only rifle that shoots Rem GBs REALLY well is an old Remington 581. It will consistently bust 3/4" at 50 yards.

My CZ 452 is almost a true 1 MOA rifle at 100 yards with Federal Champions. It has produced true 1" groups, but not on demand. Nearly all other groups have four well inside 1" with a flyer out to about 1.25. I can't find any rhyme or reason to those flyers and just chalk it up to "an ammo thing."

My 77/22V has been a disappointment in accuracy from day one. The best it will do at 50 yards is consistent 5/8" groups with that same Federal Champion the CZ loves. Everything else is between 3/4" and 1" @ 50. The Rem 581s with GBs will usually outshoot it. I love everything else about the 77/22V--its size, looks, weight, and feel--but for what it is and what it cost, I really think it ought to shoot better.

hittman

Staff member
daveg.inkc said:
And the ammo that shot the best,,, Remington Golden. I've enjoyed those for 50 years. I hope I can buy these in future.

And you couldn't PAY me to use those. :lol:

Federal or Winchester work best in my few rim fires. But Remington ..... I'll pass and do without before I'd buy those. Weird how different guns are picky.

I was gonna suggest you use some better ammo in that particular rifle!

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
hittman said:
daveg.inkc said:

And you couldn't PAY me to use those. :lol:

Federal or Winchester work best in my few rim fires. But Remington ..... I'll pass and do without before I'd buy those. Weird how different guns are picky.

I was gonna suggest you use some better ammo in that particular rifle!

Every now and again, I will try a box of Remington Golden bullets, only to see if they've improved any. Here's a spent case where the rim was "spanked" harshly, 4 times, to get some noise from that round. Several others in that box had the very same attitude:

ZmDlnBal.jpg

Now, that Remington has been sold, in parts and parcels, with new owners all over the place, who can guess what will ever transpire involving Remington rimfire ammunition?

daveg.inkc

Hunter
When my shots touch. Or in same hole,, I'm satisfied. I know many here don't like them. But my Rugers do. From 1954 Flatgate to new Single Six Hunter. From early RST4 to scoped slabside. I have seen Federals shoot to same point. My LGS has CCI's on shelf today. And many boxes of .22Mag.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Snake45 said:
daveg.inkc said:
My only rifle that shoots Rem GBs REALLY well is an old Remington 581. It will consistently bust 3/4" at 50 yards.

My CZ 452 is almost a true 1 MOA rifle at 100 yards with Federal Champions. It has produced true 1" groups, but not on demand. Nearly all other groups have four well inside 1" with a flyer out to about 1.25. I can't find any rhyme or reason to those flyers and just chalk it up to "an ammo thing."

My 77/22V has been a disappointment in accuracy from day one. The best it will do at 50 yards is consistent 5/8" groups with that same Federal Champion the CZ loves. Everything else is between 3/4" and 1" @ 50. The Rem 581s with GBs will usually outshoot it. I love everything else about the 77/22V--its size, looks, weight, and feel--but for what it is and what it cost, I really think it ought to shoot better.
Sounds like my Target model. I don't think you need a Varmint or Bull Barrel with .22's. Every RST4 I had shot great. And same with 10/22 slender barrel.

Snake45

Hawkeye
SGW Gunsmith said:
Every now and again, I will try a box of Remington Golden bullets, only to see if they've improved any. Here's a spent case where the rim was "spanked" harshly, 4 times, to get some noise from that round. Several others in that box had the very same attitude:

ZmDlnBal.jpg

Now, that Remington has been sold, in parts and parcels, with new owners all over the place, who can guess what will ever transpire involving Remington rimfire ammunition?
I few years ago I kept careful count and I was shooting around 25,000 rounds a year of the cheap Federal, Winchester, and Remington ammo, which included the Rem Golden Bullets. I found the GBs had a very consistent "dud" rate of 1 to 2 percent (i.e., 5 to 10 in each box of 500). Most other .22 duds would fire with a second strike, but never the Rem GBs. Not even if you struck several places on the rim, as you did. Rem GB duds have NO primer in them at all.

I haven't bought them in several years, so I don't know if the QC has improved any or not. Apparently not.

My CZ 452 in .22WMR is the most accurate rifle I own. I really enjoy shooting it. I don't own a Ruger 10/22 so I can't compare. I do have a couple Ruger 77's in .243 and .308 which I enjoy very much.

Garth69

Single-Sixer
I have several 22 rifles. they all shoot very well with CCI standard Velocity........much better than the groups that have been mentioned here with the remingtons and federals.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
I have a CZ 455 that's been sort of a disappointment so far.

To be fair, I've haven't spent much time with it and I need to try a different scope and ammo---but its been far from a tack driver---so the jury is still out on this one but if I can't get it to shoot acceptably, it will be gone in short order. The rifle has had no issues as far as function goes.

I don't care for the expensive crappy little plastic mags they use either.

At the last range session, my Browning BL22 (scoped) was tearing out bullseyes with ease while being fired rapidly while the CZ was struggling to even get a group but like I said, it might be that particular ammo or the scope.

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have a CZ452 Varmint that will shoot Norma Tac 22 under 1" at 100 yards depending on conditions. My 452 is an old gun with the barrel tuning screw 1/2 way down the for end. I used my fat wrench and started low and worked up through the inch pound setting till I found that my gun shoots best set on 16 inch pounds for all three screws. At 18 inch pounds the groups opened up about 1/2 so I turned the screw tension down below 16inch pounds and retuned the rifle . Great shooter . I have some custom 10/22 that shoot like groups with RWS50 but I enjoy the CZ the best.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
I'm a Ruger fan, but have yet to shoot a 77/22 that would shoot with the average CZ. I'm sure some do, just not the ones I've owned or shot.

diyj98

Single-Sixer
rugerfreak said:
I don't care for the expensive crappy little plastic mags they

CZ sells metal mags as well. I have some of both, but have found any difference function wise.

As far as your rifle's accuracy, you may have a lemon, but I'd check all the screws, check the barrel to make sure the stock wasn't pinching it, and even a different scope before I gave up on it.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
This 77/22 shoots excellent. I traded that 10/22 Target for a PSE Fang HD crossbow. Chronographed a 425 gr bolt @ 372 fps. Every PSE I've owned shot good. My International 10/22 out shot that Target model. I don't know what was wrong with it. Meanwhile, I'm back to bow hunting the month of December!

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Garth69 said:
I have several 22 rifles. they all shoot very well with CCI standard Velocity........much better than the groups that have been mentioned here with the remingtons and federals.
Tell me how you get better than a half inch group at a 100 yrds?

diyj98

Single-Sixer
daveg.inkc said:
Garth69 said:
Tell me how you get better than a half inch group at a 100 yrds?

A quarter inch group at 100 yards? :lol:

Actually it's much easier to type those super tight groups than actually shoot them.

Latest posts