early Single-Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toysoldier

Hunter
My aunt and uncle are moving to California to live with their daughter, and I am holding his guns until his son decides if he wants them. One is a Single-Six purchased in 1960 for $55. Serial # is 146xxx. Condition is very good. It has (aftermarket?) plastic stag grips that have a brown liner. Does this have any special value?

hittman

Staff member
To me, the family heirloom connection is the greatest value. But.....to some they're just a "thing" I suppose.

Money-wise, no clue, sorry.

chet15

Hawkeye
toysoldier said:
My aunt and uncle are moving to California to live with their daughter, and I am holding his guns until his son decides if he wants them. One is a Single-Six purchased in 1960 for $55. Serial # is 146xxx. Condition is very good. It has (aftermarket?) plastic stag grips that have a brown liner. Does this have any special value?

Assuming a 5-1/2" barrel?
Chet15

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree with Steve,, in the grips. Jay Scotts most likely.
As to value,, a LOT depends upon condition. You describe it as "very good." But, the NRA Grading system of percentages comes into play. A 99% gun is worth more than a 95% gun, which is worth more than a 90% gun.
Next,, does it have the original grips available? Box? Papers? Brown shipper? Manual? All these things affect the total package value.
Special value,,, to a BUYER would be if it was a "D" gun, a "S" gun, a RSS4, etc. Details are very important,, after condition is determined.
I'd look in the RENE Guide to help discover if it has any special features that can enhance the value.

toysoldier

Hunter
There are no special markings, no original grips or box. 5 1/2" barrel.The only paper is the sales receipt from Goodwin Sporting Goods in Hays, Kansas. It has a well-used holster and gun belt with cartridge loops. The gun itself shows just a little holster wear. That's remarkable, as this was his snake gun when he was working in the oil fields in Kansas and California. Still had shot shells in it when I took it from the gun cabinet. The imitation stag grips have a walnut liner, and illegible white ink markings.