22 rim fire trajectory

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FWIW comparison:
These all hit within a similar POA/POI @ 25 yards and all stayed on a 4" swinger @ 50 yards w/o holdover. The 100 yard POI of each ammo is listed below. Velocities are what's advertised not recorded. The Velociter made a significantly more distinct "whack" on the backstop.

Aguila subsonic 40 grain HP @ 1050 fps: 9" below POA
Federal HVHP 36 grain @ 1250 fps: 6" below POA
CCI Velociter HP 40 grain@ 1435 fps: 3" below POA

The Velociter would make a solid hit on a coyote/groundhog/raccoon sized varmint using a "backline hold".

JStacy

Blackhawk
When I shot NRA Hunter small bore silhouette . I used a 10" Contender and Remington Golden bullets. I know cheap ammo but I found a lot the Contender would shoot into 2" at 100 meters. I did not change my sight I changed my hold and sighted POA @25 yards. At 50 meters the gun shot 3/4" high , at 75 meters the gun shot 1" low and at 100 meters the gun shot 4" low .
A 25 yard sight in will take care of most 22lr shooting. Yes the Velocitors have more punch with slightly heavier bullet and high velocity to boot.

Snake45

Hawkeye
A while back I spent a LOT of time and ammo experimenting with a variety of .22 rifles and loads. I came up with a rough rule of thumb:

If zeroed for 50 yards, drop at 100 will be 6-7 inches.

If zeroed at 100, rise at 50 will be 3-3.5 inches.

Of course these aren't exact, but are close enough to get you in the ballpark from where you can make fine corrections.

Either a 50 or 100 yard zero will print fairly close to point of aim at 25--within an inch. One of the biggest variables in how close is how high your scope is mounted.

Looks like those numbers come pretty close to what I found.
I would also note that sub-sonic ammo doesn't gain much(maybe nothing at all) when fired from rifle length barrels. The 10.5" Charger barrel may be the best compromise between a 4" pistol and 16" rifle since I found it reduced the 100 yard drop significantly vs a 4" while there's little change vs a 16" barrel.