On the subject of factory 10-22 barrels

Help Support Ruger Forum:

To recover from the disappointment of the recent problem with the AR 22 upper failure I ran a few rounds through a couple of 10-22's today.
First up was the latest 10-22 purchase with the Nikon 3-9 scope shooting Aguila subsonic ammo. Fire one, adjust , fire one, adjust, and it's centered @ 50 yards. Fire 3 but see one mark on the Caldwell "dirty bird" peel and stick target. Yupper, interlocking bullet strikes. Good enough. Burn through the remaining 20 rounds smacking the 2" swingers while grinning all the time.
Next is the "Ranger rifle"(the filthy, cruddy 10-22 that lives on the Polaris Ranger full time) that's loaded with Federal HVHP for pest/varmint control duty on the farm. It's mounted with a 2.5 x 32 Sightron which somewhat limits it's potential but holds zero and is a nice, compact size. First shot is well centered and the next 2 bullets make a nickel size triangle on the 50 yard target. Performance as expected. The remaining 7 make the 2" and 4" swingers dance.
So, the question I have is: How much better should a 22 semi-auto be? One is nearly new w/o much break in and the other lives outside subjected to moisture, dirt, vibration--whatever nature sends.

woodsy

Blackhawk
I agree with recumbent, and I also have a very good stock carbine. But I also think Mobuck must be a better than average shooter, at least. I know several people who are active target shooters, over decades, who could not do that well at shooting. Then, they tend to blame the components of the rifle.

JStacy

Blackhawk
We used to build up 10/22 with Green mountain barrels, Boyd's Barracudia stock and Power Custom trigger parts. The guns functioned well and shot well. The barrel root usually fit the receiver quite tight and required a little persuasion to seat fully.
Doing multiple of the builds left me with factory 10/22 barrels . I took the barrels and a couple of receivers to the range and proceeded to change out barrel and group them at 50 yards with CCI SV. Some of the factory barrels were real winners and shot excellent groups. I took the barrels with the targets they shot to the gun show and sold all of them the first day for 50.00 each.
Made my partner happy ! I also sold all of the stocks for 25.00 each and turned a little extra profit with the built guns sell for 450--500 . I was just surprised how good some factory barrels shot at 50 yards.

I ran a short test on the Charger barrel I plan to use for my new 22lr project. The results (3-4" groups @ 100 yards) were not exceptional but were limited by the optic used, target quality, and shooter vision. Realistically, this is the scope I intend to use on the finished gun, my personal visual acuity, and targets aren't going to be blaze orange on a brown background anyway so the results were very revealing.

gunzo

Hunter
The accuracy you mention is certainly good enough for a general use 50 yard rifle, perhaps beyond that. Folks sometimes should put the blame on missed shots where it belongs, the shooter.
Shooting proven accurate rifles with their preferred ammo has taught me that if the bullet misses it's mark, I either didn't use the trigger properly or I missed seeing/feeling a puff of crosswind. Just a wooden dowel stuck in the ground with a 20" piece of surveyors tape tacked to the top of it will teach things.

Better than stock accuracy can be joy & is a must when wanting shoot longer range. Otherwise, many 22 rifles are more than accurate for general use.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Shooting .22 Long Rifle bullets at 100 yards is a crap-shoot. The bullet is by no means aerodynamically designed for shooting at longer distances, so 3-4 inch groups are an exception to the rule, especially from a 10/22 factory barrel.
I recently purchased a 500 round brick of these:
oVaxObSl.jpg

100 yards and BEYOND? Well sure, .22 Long Rifle rounds are alleged to have a range of 1½ miles, so maybe hitting targets BEYOND 100 yards will fall under the "first bounce or fly" parameters.
I can shoot out to 250 yards on my range out back, though I rarely do, from where my bench has been planted. I might try this version of the SK .22 Long Rifle at that distance, if only to see if, once again, I was fleeced on another gimmick. But first, I'll also try these on my target board at 75 meters (82 yards) which I consider long range for heavy timber squirrel shooting, if only to see just how accurate these rounds are from several bolt action .22 rimfire rifles before wasting time going BEYOND.

recumbent

Buckeye
There are 3 guys at my club that shoot 22lr at 100, 200,300 & 400 yards. One guy uses a 77-22 with a lothar walther barrel and a big high dollar scope. They have 8x8 in steel targets with light sensors that light up for 20 seconds when they hit the target.
The ammo they use is SK standard plus.
I watched the guy with the 77-22 hit the 400 yard plate 6 out of 10 shots, I was amazed.

mac66

Single-Sixer
I think the OP's 10/22s shoot about what is expected. As a long time rifle instructor who uses and sees lots of 10/22s on the line it is my experience that they only shoot as well as their owners. I've taken most stock 10/22s and shot nice tight groups with them. They aren't target guns by any means but they do what they are intended to do.