Palmetto State Armory failed me

Help Support Ruger Forum:

When I found that takeoff Charger barrels are "unobtainium", I shifted to plan B which involved unboxing a new PSA complete 22lr pistol AR upper that had been sitting on the shelf for 18 months. I gave the bore a quick wipe to remove any residue and mounted a red dot for a test run. HMMM, not good. Accuracy was here and there with a couple of keyholers @ 25 yards. Today, I cleaned the bore with more effort and mounted a 4x scope before another test run. Ten rounds @ 25 yards resulted in a 6" pattern plus a couple of flyers that left oblong holes and one bullet missed an 18" x 24" cardboard target backer.
I sent an email to PSA explaining the problem so we'll see how long it takes to resolve this problem. This my first disappointment with PSA products.

PS
After reading some comments/reviews on this PSA product, I found that there seemed to be others with similar problems. The PSA response to all such comments was "Contact customer service and we'll fix the problem". They must have sourced a bunch of bad barrels. After cleaning, I took a close look at the bore and the rifling is barely visible. Compared to a 10-22 barrel lying on the bench, it appeared the rifling was shallow and irregular in depth.

9x19

Hunter
Bummer!

I have a 7.5" (CMMG) .22 upper from PSA and mine has been good in terms of both accuracy and function. It is the only CMMG setup I own, my other .22s are all from Tactical Solutions. I run this PSA upper on a dedicated lower that has a Redi-Mag adapter installed so I can use the S&W 15-22 mags with it.

Hope they get it all sorted out for you... quickly.

jEEusVx.jpg

Yeah, me too.
Leave off the BUIS, switch the dot to a StrikeFire, and add a "pew-pew" muzzle device and you'd have mine. I think mine is an 8" but close. The 8" plus 6" of muffler is still pretty compact.

jjas

Single-Sixer
I found a charger barrel here for sale. $85.00 plus shipping.

https://sapoutfitters.com/product/ruger-22-charger-10-threaded-barrel-with-protector/

"Back to your original dilemma. Why can't you chop a take off 10/22?"
Other than the possibility of an overzealous ATF(er) getting picky? It seems to be a gray area unless or until the muffler is pinned and welded in place. Some shops won't cut a RIFLE barrel below the legal 16". In addition, the cost to ship, cut, and thread a 10-22 barrel is close to $100 even if the barrel has no value to begin with.
"I found a charger barrel here for sale. $85.00 plus shipping."
I'll take a look there. All the other customizing places were out of takeoff barrels and were pricing them @ $100+/- if they did have one. Thanks

Hey, that worked out, got a Charger barrel on the way. We have a Charger pistol here so no problem with legality prior to pinning on the muzzle device.

jjas

Single-Sixer
The charger seems to have been a bit of a slow seller for Ruger over the years. I would imagine that if Ruger would sell these guns complete with a pistol brace and a threaded barrel, they would sell as many Charges as they would care to manufacture.

"I would imagine that if Ruger would sell these guns complete with a pistol brace and a threaded barrel, they would sell as many Charges as they would care to manufacture."

First things we did with the new Charger was add the adapter to mount a brace and a dot optic. Waiting impatiently on the Form 1 approval for the muzzle device.

The "serialized part" has little to do with cutting a barrel shorter than the legal limit. Having a suspected 10-22 barrel shorter than 16" could easily be construed as "intent" to construct an illegal firearm. Having a gunsmith pin and weld the muzzle device before shipping it back would add even more cost which is counter to my plan.
I found a factory threaded Charger barrel in my price range so continued discussion is pointless.

Update: I finally hit a nerve @ PSA and they're sending a label for the return of the "keyhole special" upper. A direct replacement may be problematic since this SKU has been out of stock for months.