Went to the range yesterday

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My wife started to clean Saturday morning, so I quietly packed up some 22 semi auto pistols and went to the range.
A while back, I was organizing and found some boxes of 22 I had stashed away. In the back of my mind, I knew they were there, well, have been there for about 12 years. I guess I was waiting for the right time to use it. I'm glad I did. I'm not at all impressed with the Laupa. I just checked, I still have 4 boxes to go. It's plenty accurate, however, not powerful enough to cycle the slide. Well, sometimes it did, about half probably. A little annoying.

8T2kF3Yl.jpg

The CCI Green Tag is my favorite ammo. I would say it's just as accurate as the Laupa, but with powerful enough to cycle. I've always enjoyed Green Tag. The Bass Pro Shop used to sell it in Illinois and it didn't cost and arm and a leg

PpVXq9Wl.jpg

ggq2uYgl.jpg

Here are the guns. Each gun is different. They all seem to have features I like and don't like. I'm not sure if I have a favorite. I like the sights on the tapered barrel Mark II. I like the trigger on the Browning BuckMark. I like the Smith and Wesson Model 41 an awful lot. It's got nice balance and nice trigger, but overall, it's kind of heavy. The Mark II with the bull barrel and Ultra Dot is kind of heavy. I'd like to get a different base for it, and a smaller red dot. I think that might be my next project. The BuckMark has these annoying screws holding the top rail onto the barrel. It's got the sights on it. BUT! They keep coming loose. Which is really annoying.

So yeah, each gun as pluses and minuses.

The grips are the Herrett Adjustable. They are extreamly nice. The Grips on the Buck Mark are from Browning, but aftermarket. They are really fat and fill the hand. but make a huge difference.

I finished the day shooting the bulk white box ammo. What a difference from the CCI Green Tag. The groups were about twice or three times as big.

I've found some of the "standard velocity" or sub-sonic ammo to be right on the edge of functioning a couple of my 22 pistols.
Case in point: I've been carrying the SR22P on the farm for 2 months. It had been both functional and accurate with RWS sub-sonic ammo when shot on the range but after several days exposed to the normal dust and lint of daily carry, it cycled less than 50% w/o assistance. Switching to Federal HVHP made it 100% functional.
Some of the CMP Remington 22lr target ammo I received simply won't cycle one of the newish 10-22's but does fine in the well used rifles.

Montelores

Buckeye
I exclusively use .22 LR Standard Velocity in revolvers, S/A or D/A, because it eliminates the "spitting" from the B/C gap.

I recall that High Standard autos should also use SV ammo.

Monty