accurate standard size barell

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vic2367

Single-Sixer
would like some opinions/input on better standard { non .920 } barrels

have the stock ,but maybe there are more accurate ones ?

i already have a .920 build , trying to do something a little different .
wanna stick with the standard size barrel

thanks

I don't have a single .920 barrel Ruger. Generally speaking, my standard barrel 10-22's are as accurate as the optics mounted on them will allow. In fact, I have one 10-22 std barrel that shoots mixed subsonic and HV into groups that challenge most factory built rifles shooting their preferred ammo.

vic2367

Single-Sixer
might stay with the standard , havent had a chance to shoot it yet

i guess if i see good grouping then ill keep it as is

vic2367

Single-Sixer
ok

im pretty sure im gonna get the GM 16.5 fluted sporter barrel

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
vic2367 said:
im pretty sure im gonna get the GM 16.5 fluted sporter barrel
I would disassemble it and take the original barrel out, scrub the holy be-jeezus
out of it, run several clean patches down it, oil it, repeat the clean patches, and
reassemble. Then take it to the range and see if you need to replace it.

You should then know if it just needed cleaned, or if it needs replaced. :wink:

Good luck with. :D

vic2367

Single-Sixer
thats gonna be my first thing too do , dont wanna spend unnecessary dollars

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I bought a 77/22 when they first come out. To match my 77 in .270 This 77/22 was very accurate from day 1. Years later, I found the .920" in a 10/22 Target. Beautiful rifle. But, the bolt action shoots tighter groups! I don't think you need all the extra metal on a .22 But, the Target model sure is purty!

REP1954

Blackhawk
I have a MKII Standard 4 3/4" barrel/receiver on top of a Volquartsen 1911 Target Frame. It also has Volquartsen Target sights front and rear. The bolt and main spring housing assembly are from the same gun as the upper. This gun shoots as good as any rimfire handguns that I have, at least with me shooting them.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Consider, Ruger 10/22 chambers are cut a bit more loosely than how a .22 rimfire bolt rifle has its chambers cut. Chamber casts will show you that.
When you think about what goes on with a 10/22 during the semi-automatic feeding, chambering and firing sequence, only a chamber that will allow all that to be done in a repetitive manner is necessary. And, by the way, the Ruger 10/22 rotary magazine, when it works properly, feeds .22 rounds much better, and with less damage to the lead bullet, than an in-line vertical magazine will ever do. Tube feed magazines are even harder on .22 rimfire bullet noses during the feeding and chambering process.

DeltaRose

Single-Sixer
I dropped an ER Shaw factory contour barrel and Brimstone trigger group in my 1979 vintage 10/22. It now easily shoots CCI SV into 3/8" at 50 yards.

https://www.shawcustombarrels.com/shop/product/factory-contour-18-blued/208