Trouble sighting in my bushnell "Dusk and Dawn' banner optic

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jim0249

Bearcat
Just got a Precision Rimfire in 22 mag. In trying to laser bore sight the scope I'm not even close to lining up the crosshairs with my laser dot. I've got 1 inch mount for the scope rings but think I'm going to need something higher, like 2 inch. Am I thinking correctly here? Again, I am not even close with the current setup Help??? suggestions please?

recumbent

Buckeye
Put a big target up at 25 feet and see if you are on paper, then adjust the scope and move out to 50 yards then a 100 yards.
Shoot from a good rest.

"Again, I am not even close with the current setup Help??? suggestions please?"
Can you clarify this statement? I'm not sure why you feel that using higher mounts is going to help. Just an FYI, you can't bore sight at very short distance such as 10' if using 1" height rings. As mentioned, you need to actually fire a few shots at 10-25 yards to determine your actual POI.

unionprez

Single-Sixer
Probably using the wrong height on your rings. I have 2 of those scopes sitting in their boxes under my reloading bench. Tried them on my Savage .17hmr and my Ruger .22 mag and couldn't even sight them in at 25 yards. I've mounted a lot of scopes over the years and never had any issues with any of them, but these two Bushnell's are ones that I just got tired of screwing with and put them back in the box and moved on. Good luck to you.

I'm still not clear on the reason these scopes can't be zeroed. Is it due to running out of adjustment?
Understand that trying a adjust the POI to be spot on @ 25 yards or less may be impossible when using "towering" rings. Trying to align crosshairs that are inches above the boreline at such short distances exceeds the adjustment capabilities of many scopes.

jim0249

Bearcat
Mobuck said:
I'm still not clear on the reason these scopes can't be zeroed. Is it due to running out of adjustment?
Understand that trying a adjust the POI to be spot on @ 25 yards or less may be impossible when using "towering" rings. Trying to align crosshairs that are inches above the boreline at such short distances exceeds the adjustment capabilities of many scopes.

I tried lining up the cross hairs of the scope with the green laser dot on my bore sighter
to a target 25 yards away. The green laser dot is considerably higher than the crosshairs and I ran out of adjustment trying to raise the crosshairs up to the green dot. That's what makes me think that the scope needs
to be mounted higher. I ordered a higher profile scope mount with the hope of now being able to get it lined up

Don't take this wrong, but were you adjusting the POI down? That would be the correct adjustment in this case.
Using higher rings won't help. I'd suggest removing the bore siter and checking fit and re-installing in a different position just in case the bore siter stem is bent.
What type of mounting are you using? Try visually comparing the height from base to bottom of the scope saddle. I've seen instances where mismatched rings caused this problem.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
jim0249-- I'll assume the scope, rings and base are mounted correct. Set the laser aside as we will not use it. Mechanically center the windage and elevation adjustments by turning each all the way to the stop, now turn back to the opposite stop while counting the clicks, now turn back half the number of clicks.
Set up a target with a good visible bull at 25 yards. Shoot from a good solid rest and let us know the results.

Bill

trebor44

Blackhawk
Idaho, East of Boisemento, or is it Boisangelos
Not enough useful information. But I would suggest: from a stable rest, removing the bolt and sight the bore on fixed object about 25 yards away. Then check the scope and adjust to 'line' up on the object. Make sure you did not move the rifle!

Another option is to fire 3-5 shots and align the scope to 'group' again without moving the rifle.

Worse case scenario is that you will need to shim the rings. Shims can be made from soda cans, aluminium foil etc.

wanderson

Bearcat
If you're using a laser boresighter that inserts into the crown end of the barrel, try rotating it 360. In a perfect world, your dot should just rotate, not move. Most will trace out a circle. That's how far out it is.

Between scope, mounts or boresighter, I'd suspect the boresighter first unless you can verify it in a rifle with optics already dialed in.

jim0249 said:
Mobuck said:

I tried lining up the cross hairs of the scope with the green laser dot on my bore sighter
to a target 25 yards away. The green laser dot is considerably higher than the crosshairs and I ran out of adjustment trying to raise the crosshairs up to the green dot. That's what makes me think that the scope needs
to be mounted higher. I ordered a higher profile scope mount with the hope of now being able to get it lined up

Almost sounds like it has a 20 or 30moa rail on it but the .22 WMR RPR is supposed to come with a 0moa rail.

I would also check to make sure the scope rings are the same height (it does happen from time to time). If they are not, put the taller one on the front and see if that makes a difference/helps.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
jim0249 said:
I tried lining up the cross hairs of the scope with the green laser dot on my bore
sighter to a target 25 yards away. The green laser dot is considerably higher than
the crosshairs and I ran out of adjustment trying to raise the crosshairs up to the
green dot.
A few things to think about:
~ The laser beam doesn't bend (DUH!)
~ The bullet begins to drop as soon as it leaves the barrel.
~ When you look at the actual bullet trajectory, it starts low, crosses the line of sight
at about 25 yards (still going upward) and then begins to drop.

trajectory-figureb.gif

Another explanation is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqOqZBRZsj8