MK-I, II mag release install

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
OK, what's the trick to install these? I've done a few and I always ending up "talking nicely" to them.

I did one today and I think I found a trick. I'll have to do a couple more to be sure..... and I'm in no hurry to try. :roll:

What I did today was hold the release in the position it would be in of you were removing a mag. That seemed to give me enough purchase on the spring to get it in place and pinned. I also taped the legs in place. Not sure if that was much help or not, but it stopped rotating on me.

If only they hadn't remove my third hand after I was born....

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Third hand, that's what I am missing! I've tried crying and pleading but it just laughs at me and... "click", off it comes again. Biting my tongue seemed to help. I did a full strip video on the mark recently and when I got to the mag release I literally had to edit out to the final one that worked because it took too many tries and my head kept getting into the camera. What a bizarre design Ruger made.

I like the tape idea to keep the spring from flipping in. Also, on one of mine I have to tape the spring pin into the frame once that's in place because it falls out without tension. I have had some success with a slave pin/punch but it has to be almost the same size as the pin to keep from getting "click, dang".

I've thought about putting a string on the part of the spring that touches the release and pull on that but feel that will keep slipping off. Hmm, I may have to strip another one now just to try some things. Thanks for asking! Hopefully we will get a great tip.

TomD

Dan in MI

Staff member
I think I saw you video in my search today. As soon as I saw the mag release still in place while everything else was on the table, I clicked off.

I must say holding the catch back in position like you are removing a mag did help a bunch. The flats on the release are parallel to the bottom which also gives you a visual to keep you on track.

06dilly

Single-Sixer
Must have been a different video. I stripped all the way down as far as you can. I took out the mag release at the 2 minute mark. Reassembly of it is at the 9 minute mark. You may have found my field strip video. It's in the Full strip one. See if this link works.

https://youtu.be/-in4jzX_AuQ

I'd love to hear your feedback if you get a chance.

TomD