Mk.1 Ruger .22 pistol disassembly.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dantforth

Blackhawk
So, I have decided to have a look at the sear and trigger on my Mk.1. It has an unusual trigger. When pulling the trigger I get a fairly hard pull at first and a almost unnoticeable click and then the trigger is extremely light. My other pistols are not this way. So, I want to disassemble it but see a disclaimer in the owner's manual which advises that disassembly past a certain point should be left to the factory. Thoughts?

woodsy

Blackhawk
Did you have the pistol since brand new, or did someone else first own it? If the latter, someone may have done a bubba job on it. Regardless, there are almost countless videos online which show how to proceed. Ruger probably even has one; they have for almost all their other handguns. They're right, you only have to go so far to take a close look at the trigger assembly. If you were here I could show you mine coming apart while you watched and did yours at the same time. Look for those videos.

contender

Ruger Guru
The Ruger MK pistols come apart fairly easy. It's the re-assembly that gives most folks their "issues." The hammer strut is the one thing folks often fail to get "right."

As noted above,,, it sounds as if someone has messed with the internals.

Dan in MI

Staff member
If you are fairly mechanically competent they are fairly easy to work on. A couple of the springs may mess with you but not much. If you get hung we're here.

Being a MK1 I wouldn't give the warning any heed.

Dantforth

Blackhawk
Thanks to those who posted here. I did break it down as far as is normal for cleaning. I then sprayed with carburetor cleaner and blew it out with air. I then reassembled and will try it soon. I did not buy it new. When inspecting it upon my meager disassembly it has zero marks anywhere which might indicate it may have been messed with. This little glitch in the trigger bothers me but does not have a negative effect on function. I will report back after a second testing.

good info above,,,easy enough also to just "look things over" when you have the upper ( receiver and bolt) off the gun, you can put the mainspring housing ( strut) back in just the grip frame and work the action manually push the hammer back and cock it and you can "look/see" everything that is going on down inside the grip frame,also "feel" whats going on when you pull the trigger.......good training practice,feel and function.... :roll: :wink:
DO NOT dry fire , I put my thumb up in front of the hammer face,yes it smarts,once or twice will tell you LOTS 8)

...I know, just enough to let the sear/hammer disengage....just didn't want to "surprise" some-one :)

and you do learn a lot just watching all those parts going back and forth,doing what they were designed to do, interesting really.... 8) :roll: :wink:

aRnTEntm.jpg

tWCwDRRm.jpg

Dan in MI

Staff member
rugerguy said:
...I know, just enough to let the sear/hammer disengage....just didn't want to "surprise" some-one :)

and you do learn a lot just watching all those parts going back and forth,doing what they were designed to do, interesting really.... 8) :roll: :wink:

I knew you knew, just had to razz ya.

As far as watching and learning. That was how I figured out I needed to design a pre-travel screw, then a few years later after the interweb was invented, I find out I wasn't the only one!

06dilly

Single-Sixer
The Standard/Mark I is actually quite therapeutic to take all the way down and back. Biggest trouble I have is the dang mag release. Lining things up and not having the mag latch pop off the spring... fun stuff. Sure takes your mind off Covid!

Well, ok the trigger pin clip is not so fun either. The last one (US Marked) I just took down had a tiny piece of hand cut thin sheet metal for a clip. I think someone lost the clip and just made one.

These things are such an incredible engineering piece of art. Gotta love 'em!

.........Contender, that gun was one of the first few dozen Mr Ruger built, and this is ALL that is left of this 2 digit gun..........#003x........ 8) :roll:

1oPA1Xum.jpg

you may recall this from sometime back, long, SAD story..........

Montelores

Buckeye
Informative thread - Thank you -

So does this 2:51 video explain everything necessary for disassembly and re-assembly?

I understand that the mainspring housing and hammer strut placement can be difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cXOoY2cYbk

Monty

06dilly

Single-Sixer
That's a nice simple video, Monty. Short and to the point. He has one that's nice and loose. Some are a bear to take apart but the principle is the same, just need a rubber hammer on the tough ones. I've got a Mark I full tear down video out there if you really want to get into it. Completely stripped and reassembled in 15 edited minutes. Fun stuff!

https://youtu.be/-in4jzX_AuQ

TomD

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Dantforth said:
So, I have decided to have a look at the sear and trigger on my Mk.1. It has an unusual trigger. When pulling the trigger I get a fairly hard pull at first and a almost unnoticeable click and then the trigger is extremely light. My other pistols are not this way. So, I want to disassemble it but see a disclaimer in the owner's manual which advises that disassembly past a certain point should be left to the factory. Thoughts?

If the trigger has been replaced, someone has already gone beyond the "disclaimer" when the factory trigger was replaced. I have offended that disclaimer many, many times doing complete disassemblies of early Standards and Ruger Mark I pistols.
It would help to know which aftermarket trigger has been installed. Can you detect any socket head set screws in the trigger shoe face, or in the very front top of said trigger? There is an "E" clip that retains the factory trigger in place on the trigger pivot pin, in a groove expressly for that clip, so it's not an easy drop in fit when installing a different trigger.
Any way you can post a picture of the trigger now installed?