Trigger group help please 10/22 (updated the fix)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I bought a new 10/22

I noticed the safety pushed through almost out the right side recessed on the left, no snap just slide. The rifle also does not fire.

I summited a service request from Ruger but in the meantime wanted to know what I might be overlooking.

I also asked in my Service request if we could just do a trigger group exchange instead of sending the whole rifle back in light of circumstance.

Anything I can fix, any ideas?

hittman

Staff member
If you bought it brand new maybe just let Ruger fix it.

Otherwise, I'd consider looking to buy a trigger group in the Classifieds here.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I just didn't know if something flipped or flopped into the wrong position, I plan to let Ruger fix it. Between Henry, CVA, and Ruger, I'm having a banner year of problems.

I really like the BX-Trigger from Ruger...

https://shopruger.com/Ruger-BX-Trigger/productinfo/90462/

...that being said, something is amiss in your safety/safety plunger, you should have one of these to disassemble it...

https://www.tandemkross.com/Gunsmither-Ruger®-1022®-Safety-Tool_p_141.html

...it's a tricky process though until you've done it a couple of times so if you're not comfortable doing it Ruger will take care of it.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Roger that on the BX group. I'm taking the approach I started taking after my Henry 22 failed...Let them fix it. I have the aptitude but it gets old. It like new guns are basically project guns anymore.

My Henry 44 Carbine was a POS but I did everything myself and a trigger job, got fed up after that.

The 10/22 trigger is easy enough to take apart. It might be as simple as taking it apart and putting it back together correctly. It would certainly be less trouble than shipping it back to Ruger and having to wait.

There are all sorts of diagrams online to show how the parts fit together. And no special tools are required.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Forget the typical knee-jerk "send it in" method. FAR too many of this route are simple DIY things. With the 10/22 trigger, well, my kid was doing these when he was 15yo. It's not difficult. The safety sounds like your detent is missing or your safety simply spun. Both easily remedied. the "does not fire"...well, pretty vague. First thing...use this a time to learn about the firearm. How it works, what the parts do, etc. It DOES come in handy down the line.

mac66

Single-Sixer
I bought a 10/22 with the same problem. It turned out to be the ball detent due to the safety button being out of alignment. I took it apart and reassembled it correctly. Problem solved.

9x19

Hunter
The safety has to be in a center position to install remove the action.

If the person doing the removal/install isn't careful, or if the stock opening is a bit tight, the safety can get rotated out of position so that the detent doesn't bear on it as it should. Occaisionally you can rotate it back to the right position without removing the trigger and hammer, but most times, you have to remove those so you can get to the detent, push it in, then rotate the safety.

Good luck

First thing...use this a time to learn about the firearm. How it works, what the parts do, etc. It DOES come in handy down the line.

This is very true. I only have two 10/22's but 3 barrels and an assortment of stocks. I switch them up from time to time. Knowing how they work has helped me tremendously. When I take the time to understand how a particular firearm works, like the 10/22 or say an AR15, I get so much more satisfaction out of shooting it.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
As per Ruger like some of you are saying:

"Its a secret disable method"

"Push the safety to center and rotate it 90 degrees to left until slight audible click"

"Has to be centered"

"Rotate it back to disable it"

Latest posts