Bearcat 22 Mag Conversion

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dumbear

Bearcat
Could someone give me an idea of the cost to convert the Bearcat to 22 magnum. I would also like to know who dose this conversion.

Dave Clements did my Bearcat conversion but not sure he is doing anymore; I hear he is now slowly getting out of the business. I might add that it can only be done on 'new models'.
http://www.clementscustomguns.com/home.html

Sugar River

Buckeye
Dave Clements still shows that conversion on his site. Along with everything else he does to improve the Bearcat he gets $250.

I have a Bearcat Dave Clements worked on. He didn't do the magnum conversion, but he do the accuracy package. It is the most accurate Bearcat anyone could shoot, hands down. Well worth the money to have him work on it.

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Far as I know David Clements isn't taking any new work and I know Alan Harton is choosing to only work on Colts now. My conversion was done at Cylinder and Slide but they have a 14 month backlog right now. If all you want is a chamber reamed from .22lr to Mag then any competent Gunsmith can do it. Only new models work as old models have too tight a barrel and too short a cylinder. Best of luck, .22mag makes a Bearcat come alive for sure.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
I bought a stainless .22 Long Rifle cylinder and rented a reamer from 4D. It took about an hour to do the job. When the New Model Bearcats were introduced, a .22 Long Rifle/.22 Magnum cylinder convertible was an option. Ruger chose to do a recall and dropped the Magnum option.

Mine shoots just fine. Here is a hint: if you rent the reamer, rent the reamer handle at the same time. None of my handles fit the rented reamer.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I am sort of amazed Ruger has not reintroduced the 22/22mag on some bearcat, even through a distributor like Lipsey.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ruger is fearful of the problem they had; the cyl would jump timing under recoil. If a follow up shot was not aligned with the barrel, lead splatter could go sideways from the bar/cyl gap and take out some idiot's eyesight standing too close w/o safety glasses. Ruger has enough litigation from idiot snowflakes as it is!

goboom

Bearcat
My suggestion would be to keep it stock. I can get plenty of "kicks" shooting CCI .22 LR Stingers in an early alloy frame Bearcat.

InjunBro

Bearcat
I've converted 2-3. .22 mag. was one of the few reamers I kept when I retired & closed my shop. It takes about an hour & improved accuracy. .22 mag. Bearcat is one of my favorite trail guns.