22\45 Lite barrel destroyed?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
Was shooting and not hitting anything. Went to clean the gun and realized 3/4 of the barrel was "blownout." Hard to tell from pic but the piece you see is actually the barrel folded back and you can see theres nothing behind it. The other 3/4 of the barrel is folded in. This is on an older Gold 22/45 lite. Gotta call Ruger on Monday.

ZocREEql.jpg

lHmlQHpl.jpg

AR-Trvlr

Bearcat
Don't the 'lite' pistols have a thin steel liner within a aluminum barrel? It looks like the liner cracked & failed, and is peeling down the barrel.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
That's exactly what it looks like. I always assumed that the barrel was thicker. It's going back to Ruger. Unfortunately they charged me $30 for a shipping label. Said my kids probably had a squib load and kept shooting.I don't think I have 2-3k rounds through it yet. They did tell me they can put a new liner in it though.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Id work on them for reimbursement of that $30 you spent on shipping too. There was no excuse for them not giving you a shipping label and their excuse is/was BS!

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
On the $30, They told me if it's it's older than 2 yrs old they won't pay shipping. Wasn't gonna argue over $30 but did tell them I have close to 200 Ruger firearms and would expect to be taken care of.

I asked Tom if he was going to quit shooting his or trade it off for a solid barrel 22/45. He said he wasn't sure yet.
I suppose Ruger would fix it but most likely, having bits of barrel liner go out the muzzle would damage the muffler which I'm sure Ruger wouldn't cover.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
Got it back yesterday. They replaced the barrel liner and all the parts in the upper. Gave me a cleaning cloth for my troubles. Return slip didn't say anything other than what was replaced and that it was test fired fine.so I guess all is good.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
This gun is used exclusively with a silencerco suppressor and I was relieved that it wasn't damaged. I'm guessing that if it had a squib and the next bullet blew the first into the space between the barrel and liner that only fragments we're actually leaving the barrel

57springer

Buckeye
Mobuck said:
All's well that ends well????
This certainly doesn't enhance my feelings about the LITE. I'll just stick to all steel barrels.
Me neither , I was thinking about a lite ............... No more :?

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I have never heard of this before so now we know of one that was bad I guess I'll keep shooting mine.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
I would buy another. Who knows what really happened. Probably a squib that got shot out? On the bright side the barrel liner failed and contained multiple shots afterwords. I know I shot 5-10 times before I realized something wasn't right. And Ruger fixed it no questions asked for the measly sum of $30 shipping

JStacy

Blackhawk
The early "gold" 22/45 lites had problems with leading that later models did not have . The rapid fire games caused the barrel liner to lead badly and damage the liner. Later 22/45 lites have barrels designed for better ventilation than the early guns . I am glad to see Ruger made it right for you and only cost 30.00 , not a bad deal.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I have close to 30K rounds out of my Lite with no problems whatsoever. This is my back-up gun to my Volquartsen Black Mamba which is giving me problems with failures to eject right now. The upper went back to VQ and they checked it out. Other than a deep cleaning they say they fixed the problem with new recoil guide rod assembly and spring. The assembly was bent.

While in the shop I shot the Lite exclusively for the past 3 weeks. Not one single malfunction while shooting 36 grain CCI Blazer ammo. I also played with Mini Mags and SV. All work.

I've shot lined barrels in my Smith Revolvers as well with no problems. For Steel Challenge it helps to have a lite gun. The weight lets you transition between targets much faster.

BzG7nc7l.jpg

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have several lites and no problem with them except , IMHO, they are not as accurate as the steel barreled guns. Fun to shoot , lite to carry in the field but the early ones had their problems , if you did any type of speed shooting , they tended to lead then rip an tear as the bore became obstructed. Treated correctly and they work fine, even the gold ones !