.22LR GP100 vs. 617

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I realize this is a loaded question being that it's on a Ruger forum, but here goes anyway.

I'm looking for a SS 10 shot rimfire revolver. S&Ws are a little harder to come by and at a premium price. I have high regard for my many Rugers, but I also have a few Smiths as well.

Anybody have experience with both and can offer a good comparison?

woodsy

Blackhawk
Would you consider a SA in SS? If so, I am extremely happy with my Single-Ten. If you want DA, then never mind.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
woodsy said:
Would you consider a SA in SS? If so, I am extremely happy with my Single-Ten. If you want DA, then never mind.

I have a Single Ten, and a Single Six. Yes, just want to add a DA.

When the GP100-.22 works correctly, it is very comparable to a later model 617.

Some of us have had very serious quality issues with the GP-100-.22 .

Quality control was very hit or miss with these revolvers initially, so if I was ever in the market again, I would not buy one sight-unseen. And that's a problem in my neck of the woods. Nobody would ever stock them, so mail order was my only option. Buying from Davidson's is an excellent choice. If the revolver is defective, they will replace it without question. Ruger, not so much. :?

There are multiple similar discussions on this forum and elsewhere...

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=272455&hilit=machining&start=0

pinshooter

Bearcat
I have three 617's and an early model GP100 10 shot. I had a bunch of quality issues with the GP but I fixed most of them. The GP shoots good now but it has a longer DA trigger pull than S&W. I use them for speed shooting sports and the longer trigger pull on the GP is hard to get used to after shooting S&W's. The GP is also bigger than a 617.

sfL7iHL.jpg

The GP is on top and the 617 below to show the difference in DA pull.

7yLeDlS.jpg

8DIOd9H.jpg

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
Well, I went ahead and did it. Found a used GP100 with a 2019 manufacturing date. Looks like it didn't have more than a dozen rounds thru it. The trigger is simply amazing - feels more like a tuned S&W. Accuracy is outstanding as well.

Appears to have none of the problems reported with the early models.

Next step is to mount a reflex sight - parts are on the way.

Thanks for all the comments.