Problem with New LCR .22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

olcop

Single-Sixer
Fired my New LCR about 40 times and the cylinder and trigger locked up and won't open or fire---I can rock the cylinder slightly from side to side (yawing motion, not rotating ) but it won't release, rotate or open or fire, it happened during a firing session and it still has live ammo in the cylinder.
Wondering if any of you have experienced this situation and what you did to remedy it----Can't send it back to Ruger as it has live ammo in the cylinder and I haven't contacted Ruger customer service yet, figured I would wait till after the holidays. Checked with a q-tip and there dosen't seem to be a squib load wedged in the throat.
Any help, suggestions or advice will be appreciated

recumbent

Buckeye
Are you certain there is not a bullet stuck part way in the barrel? Take a flash light and see
if you can see thru the cylinder barrel gap or slide a cleaning rod in from the muzzle.

I've got about 2000 rounds thru my LCR 22 and never a problem.

Thousands of rounds through my wife's and no issues either. It does not like to extract Mini Mags but never an issue like you're describing. Disassembly is not difficult, reassembly can be a little tricky. Make sure the Torx screw on the crane isn't falling out...here's a video.

https://youtu.be/6oN09puNPKY

LDM

Blackhawk
Sounds to me like it might be a broken transfer bar. Had that snap in my lcr 357 and it had similar symptoms.

olcop

Single-Sixer
LDM said:
Sounds to me like it might be a broken transfer bar. Had that snap in my lcr 357 and it had similar symptoms.
Do you have any suggestions as how to remove the loaded cylinder? It's partially loaded, so,I can't Return it to Ruger for inspection and/or repair----I've looked at several videos, and none seem to address the problem directly.
Thanks

recumbent

Buckeye
Try this, Hold the cylinder release in all the way, while holding it take your other hand and rotate the cylinder back and forth while trying to open and close the cylinder you may have to bump the bottom of the grip on a table or work bench.
Maybe the bumping will jar whatever is holding it loose.

recumbent

Buckeye
If worse comes to worse you could remove the grip and put the revolver in a container of mineral spirits completely submerged. Leave in in over night, this will make the 22 ammo inert.
Test the mineral spirits on a small place on the polymer to be absolutely sure they won't damage the polymer, but I don't think it will.

olcop

Single-Sixer
recumbent said:
olcop:
Did you ever get this resolved?

Not entirely to my satisfaction, I called Ruger CS to get it on record, and was told by the Airhead that I talked to that 1. do not try to disassemble it ,will void the warranty
2. soak it in a container of DW-40 and call back in two weeks--(it ain't DW-40, it's WD-40, and I only have it in spray cans, who the hell keeps WD-40 by the gallon?)
3. Remove the grips and any other plastic parts before soaking--( it's a polymer frame gun, the grip is rubber)
I did put it on to soak,as you suggested, but, I'm soaking it in Kroil rather than DW-40, or WD-40)
My takeaway so far is;
Ruger CS is a joke, they must hire anyone off the street and give them a card printed with FAQ answers
Their QC has slipped, I found several more problem guns on line
It's gonna be a tough decision the next time I buy a gun, I've always wanted an Alaskan and was saving up for one, but, I'll have to reconsider now.

olcop

Single-Sixer
Not yet, I stumbled over my walker, took a fall, broke my left elbow, and had to have 4 stitches to sew up the laceration, the bleeding wouldn't stop, (I'm on coumadin) so they checked it and it was 9+, should be 2.5, so they admitted me to the hospital, stayed there 5 days, then to a nursing home for two weeks, but, I'm finally back home, and can get back on the Ruger problem----I'll keep everyone informed as it plays out

olcop

Single-Sixer
Captain America said:
Ouch....hope you're feeling better soon.
Thanks, I'm sure glad to be home, although, I miss being woke up at 2:45 AM by someone asking if I had a BM that day!!
I plan to contact Ruger on Monday to get the ball rolling, I'll post the progress.

olcop

Single-Sixer
OK Guys. here is the latest update>
Called Ruger customer service yesterday and after assigning me a RA #, I packaged the gun up, as per their instructions--asked if I could take it to my dealer to hand to the FEDEX driver, "Sure, that is a good way to do it" took it to my dealer and he wouldn't do it---2nd part of instructions were > take it to a "manned hub, to ship---did that today (60 mile round trip)--they (FEDEX) refused to take it, so I brought it home and called Ruger CS again---they advised that I could ship it UPS, with home pickup the next day and, the driver would have the shipping label with him---guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow & see what happens.
This is the very first time I have ever had problems with a Ruger firearm, and I realize a problem can happen to any company, but, It sure is frustrating trying to deal with a customer service department.
I'll update soon as I get it on the way.

olcop

Single-Sixer
UPS picked it up yesterday, bringing the shipping label with them---entire transaction took about 30 seconds (Good on UPS)
It is now winging it's way Northward to Ruger.
I'll keep all posted on the progress-----right now, the only good from this process is UPS--I hear Fedex is struggling to keep going, now I know why!!

olcop

Single-Sixer
Received a text message from Ruger saying they had received my revolver and were examining
it and would keep me posted.
Guess I'll wait and see what transpires next.

olcop

Single-Sixer
Latest update is that it is supposed to be here Fri the 14th, got to be home to sign for it----I'll keep everyone posted on the results.