Serial Number Confusion on a 3 Screw Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
OK, I got Serial Number overload, and am now confused as to what I actually have.

I bought a 3 Screw, Single Six, 6 1/2", SN is 4871XX, has a .22 LR cylinder in the revolver.

SO what do I actually have?

Box in picture is from my 1950's Standard/Mark I Pistol

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
I got a good enough deal I'm not worried about the magnum cylinder

But what list are you getting this information from?

The "Single-Six Standard Model Revolver" list stops at 1961 and picks back up at 1969, is there another list I'm missing?

I find the SN falling in the 1967 range on the magnum only SN list "Single-Six Magnum Model Revolver".

But as you can see this one is clearly marked ".22 Cal", NOT "WIN .22 RF MAG CAL".

Somehow Ruger's old SN look up was better than the new

The information is from RENE (Red Eagle News Exchange) who publisher posts on these pages as Chet 15. It is far and away better then the information you will find on the Ruger site,

contender

Ruger Guru
As FM alludes to,, we use the RENE Reference Guide for information. You can join RENE,, and Chad (chet15) has a Reference Guide that is INVALUABLE to collectors. MUCH better than any other resource for us.
So, as you already know,, your gun is a FIXED sighted gun,, and that makes it a "Old Model Single-Six Convertible." It's not marked "magnum" or it would have a different serial number block. The number places it in the production era after the magnum cylinders were being added to the Single-Sixes. Any fixed sighted Single-Six with a serial number before 150,000 did not have the mag cylinder. In 1959, the Magnum Single-Sixes were produced,, and later on,, when they decided to make just one model, they made convertibles. It was because folks were asking for the other caliber for their guns. The Magnums were dropped & Convertibles were offered.
If your gun had the adjustable sights,, it would be a "Super Single-Six Convertible."

So, we look in the RENE Guide,, under the Single-Six Convertibles,, and the list of serial numbers,, by the years, allows us to say your gun was made in 1967.
The OM Single-Six Convertibles started in 1961 with the serial number of; 162xxx and went to 1973 with a serial number of 21-56105. (Per RENE.) In 1967 the serial number range was; 475650 to 490278.
The adjustable sighted guns,, called the "Super Single-Six" started with serial number 400001 and went to 400005 and 500001 to 572014. Notice the skipping of the serial number block of the 400000 for the most part. There is a little overlap in the 500000 range of things,, but the RENE explains things. The Supers skipped SS numbers,, and their prefix was 60-00001 to distinguish them from the SS guns.

Again, a lot more info is in the RENE Guide & we HIGHLY recommend it to ALL who have an interest in Rugers! Contact Chad & spend the $25. I've saved HUNDREDS by having the Guide!

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
Thank You

And that explains why it's not on the Ruger site.

Some of this I did know, Like the SN cut off for LR guns only at the 150,000. And about the Super Single Six Convertibles. The rest not so much.

I have a 5 1/2" Super Single Six Convertible, 1971 vintage.

I will probably look for a fluted magnum cylinder for the 6 1/2", well see what pops up.

I'm not so much of a collector but I like the older Single Six's far better than the New models

Thank you again for the information

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
Looky what I got..

So I get to work and the person I bought this single six from hands me this little red felt bag and an envelope with the box in it, and said I think this goes to the gun I sold you.

He told me he has been tossing stuff out and came across a box that said "fitted extra cylinder for single six". The poor box is tattered behind fixing, but I stuck it under the padding in the case for safe keeping. I asked if he would give me a chance to check what he was tossing.

So I now have the .22 WMR cylinder, and it fits. I am so glad he didn't toss the box.

414418431.jpg

street

Hunter
The problem you had finding the serial number on the Ruger site is that when Ruger came out with the Single-Six with the 6 1/2 in. bl. it was made in .22 Mag. only. The catalog number was RSSM, "R" for revolver or Ruger (only Ruger knows for sure.) "SS" for Single-Six, and "M" for magnum.

After a few years the Single-Six 6 1/2 in. bl. guns stopped having their frames stamped with the Magnum markings and instead had their frames stamped with Single-Six just like the other Single-Sixes. The problem is their catalog number on the boxes still was "RSSM".

That being said. Ruger list all of their Single-Sixes with a 6 1/2 in. bl. into the guns listed as Magnum guns even though they are just Single-Six convertibles. One thing to note, in Rugers defense, there were a few Single-Six, 6 1/2 in bl. guns that had there frames stamped "Single-Six" that was shipped from the factory as a Magnum only. These guns are very rare and a letter from Ruger is a must to verify they are Magnum only.

RugerForMe said:
Looky what I got..

So I get to work and the person I bought this single six from hands me this little red felt bag and an envelope with the box in it, and said I think this goes to the gun I sold you.

He told me he has been tossing stuff out and came across a box that said "fitted extra cylinder for single six". The poor box is tattered behind fixing, but I stuck it under the padding in the case for safe keeping. I asked if he would give me a chance to check what he was tossing.

So I now have the .22 WMR cylinder, and it fits. I am so glad he didn't toss the box.

Man, you lucked out. Who knows how many cylinders have been "lost in the shuffle" never to ever find their way home again?! :shock: :shock: :shock: