Brand New Bearcat Problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pharmer

Single-Sixer
A good friend of mine got a SS Bearcat for Christmas from his boys. It will not operate unless you point it up about 60 degress above level. I told him the gun should function normally no matter what the position. I know very little about the innards of the gun but it seems that some kind of interference is being caused when trying to lift the transfer bar. Told him to call Ruger on Monday and follow the procedure outlined in the owners manual to send it in for a fix. Anything else I could have done? Joe

contender

Ruger Guru
Sounds like the base pin is not pushing into the transfer bar. Make him look at the base pin,, and make sure it's fully seated. The tip of the base pin has a spring loaded tip,, and it is to push in the transfer bar. By holding the gun in a muzzle up position,, the transfer bar "falls" backwards.

pharmer

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the quick responses. I'm going to let him bird dog this problem with the company. Learn by doing. A new gun should be 100% out of the box, we ain't QA. Joe

Chief 101

Hunter
the fix is to push the basepin all the way in...unless of course there is an issue with it

pharmer

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack said:
pharmer, you may not be QA, but you should be able to push the base pin all the way in or you have no business taking it down to clean it.

I tried the base pin and it seems fully seated. I am not "detail disassembly to last pin" savvy but I have basic knowledge of most guns and how they function. In any event I will not see it for awhile and Shooting it is more remote. Joe

pharmer

Single-Sixer
Update: You guys were right on the money, pin was not all the way in. I did neglect to ask if he had removed the pin and cylinder, which he did. Re inserted the pin to the last notch and works perfectly. Thanks again, always appreciate new "gun knowledge." Happy New Year. Joe

I had similar problems with my 6" model. It would back out for some reason. Just didn't 'lock in' correctly. I installed a Belt Mountain base pin to cure it. Might want to go that route if it should happen again.

pharmer

Single-Sixer
"See??? A new gun that DID work properly,,, as long as the owners did things right. A simple fix,, and we were glad to help!"

My friend is not a "gun guy." Neglected to tell me he had it apart and attempted reassembly. Also, whipping it out in a grocery store parking lot so "I could have a look" kinda clouded my thinker. Thanks again for sorting it out. Joe

Tom K

Bearcat
I bought a brand new 6" Bearcat a few months back. When I finally got around to checking it out, the spring-loaded tip of the base pin fell out. Ruger send me a new base pin free.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
pharmer said:
My friend is not a "gun guy."
Not to you, but rather to your buddy:
RTFM!
Read The Funny Manual.

Glad the problem is resolved. :wink:

It's amazing how many if this type of problem comes from a lack of reading. :roll:

:D

Happiness is an easily resolved problem. :D . :D . :D