Wrangler Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I've had my Wrangler for a coupla months now. I waited to get one until I found one for cheap.

Mine looked nice right out of the box. No obvious blems or flaws. Everything was stiff at first, although the loading gate was not nearly as stiff as others have suggested.

At the range it has operated reliably, no malfunctions or hang ups of any kind. The trigger has improved with use, but still pretty much sucks. The cylinder becomes harder to turn after firing a hundred or so rounds.

.22 LR dimensions seem to vary a lot from brand to brand. Some brands slide easily into the chambers- CCI and Federal. Remington Thunderduds are are to push in (the empties eject easily, though).

So... do I love my Wrangler? Heck, no. Why? Because I can't shoot it worth a darn. I've tried and tried, but yesterday at the range I still couldn't hit much.

Still, for the price, it's quite a bargain. Compared to the Heritage Roughriders, Ruger has hit a home run.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Hondo44 said:
All range reports I've seen report good accuracy. Is this your first single action?

No, I've owned and shot other single actions. I'm sure the gun is accurate- I just don't shoot it well.

The Norseman

Blackhawk
Congratulations on your new purchase of that Ruger Wrangler 22lr revolver.

I finally got to look at and handle The Wrangler last weekend in Cheyenne WY.

It was the Black Wrangler. Right off the bat when it was handed to me, it did not
feel cheap, had a little heft to it, and the Loading Gate worked just fine
(I always inspect chambers for the sake of Safety).

The Free Spinning Cylinder threw me, but I visially lined the Bolt up with the
Cylinder Bolt Slots, as not to scatch line the Cylinder.

Fit was not definitely, like the seams had grown together. Suspected for a inexpensive 22lr.

Finish Coating was Ok. Someone prior to me had already Ringed the Cylinder.

I liked it, but do not see the Wrangler in my future. I already have a 1956 Ruger
Single Six, and other 22's. If Ruger makes a Dovetailed Rear Sight Model I would
consider the Wrangler.

At $189 plus tax, I would definitely recommend Ruger Wrangler as some young
person's first Plinking Revolver.

P.S. Keep practicing with that Plow Handle and you will get better. It took me
awhile to get use to the "Cowboy" style Revolver. Try putting your Pinky under
the bottom of Grip. Sometime not fighting the Recoil helps accuracy.