10/22 in local shop - Pictures Added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was making my regular rounds to local shops today and located a 10/22 sitting on the rack that look different.

SN: 12116X

The stock seems deluxe. No forward band and the wood is grooved on each side near the barrel.

Has the Ruger symbol on the stock and the cheek area seems higher than normal.

I should have taken a picture. I would say that it is in Very Good condition. Wood and metal is almost perfect.

No box or paperwork.

They are asking $300

What do you think? Early Christmas present to me?

9x19

Hunter
Sounds like a "finger-groove sporter" model and that price is quite good in the condition you describe.

hittman

Staff member
You can maybe double your money on that.
The darker one is a 10/22, the lighter wood is a 44 Carbine.

py5uOLQh.jpg

I2gwqqUh.jpg

When mine goes to the range someone almost always asks who did that custom stock.

I took it out and test fired it yesterday afternoon.

I fired about 80 rounds at 25 yards and it performed perfectly.

I removed the scope that was on the rifle when I bought it.

I am thinking that I will mount a newer scope. You can see the original scope ring base in this picture.

Should I stick with the original base shown in the picture or replace the base with a newer Ruger design?

The newer bases are wider and might be an improvement over the original.

If there is not an advantage to a newer base design, I would like a recommendation on scope rings that work well with the original base.

Bill

9x19

Hunter
That base is the 3/8" style meant for .22 Tip-off rings.

Newer Rugers came with a wider base meant for Weaver style rings.

You're correct that the newer bases will allow for a much wider selection of rings. Weaver offers two models for the 10/22, their TO9, and their 430T (picatinny style). Both are available on Amazon for less than $10.

Do keep the old base and screws somewhere safe, just in case.

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Also check that 2-7 Tasco scope again. The country of manufacture is usually marked opposite the Tasco marking. If it's marked Japan, you got a very good scope! The later ones were made in Korea and finally in China, those were nowhere near the quality of the original Tasco-Japan scopes.

Ted

I took a few pictures of the scope that was on it.

When it was mounted, the horizontal portion of the reticle was canted. I looked at the mounting hardware and could not see a solution. I removed it and the scope now lives in an old shoe box. If you are interested in it, let me know. We will work something out.

Bill