anyone tried these?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
I was wondering if anyone has tried these?, they are $19.94 each at wal mart but I got three brand new on ebay for only $24 total shipped. they are buffalo leather and called saddle mate holster, I got the 9 inch holster which fits up to 5 inch barrel and they fit my wrangler good. Just wondering if anyone uses these or has used them and about what type of life span I can expect? I know I like them better than the nylon ones. thanks

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Looks ok, might try to find one myself, watch the stitching for wear, easy fix if it goes bad

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Rocdoc said:
Looks ok, might try to find one myself, watch the stitching for wear, easy fix if it goes bad

I am thinking of cutting the strap snap and the one on the holster off, the metal is scratching the cylinder, the front has a leather tap and I have some leather strings and could make a piece to go over the hammer to keep the gun in.

The newer "Hunter" brand holsters have a little piece of fabric(?) glued to the back of the snap rivet.
I've carried a GP100 and 22/45 (both SS) in Hunter brand holsters for literally decades. Not fancy or pretty but serviceable. Don't over oil them but they do need moisture protection if you use them in inclement weather.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Mobuck said:
The newer "Hunter" brand holsters have a little piece of fabric(?) glued to the back of the snap rivet.
I've carried a GP100 and 22/45 (both SS) in Hunter brand holsters for literally decades. Not fancy or pretty but serviceable. Don't over oil them but they do need moisture protection if you use them in inclement weather.

thanks, that gives me an idea that maybe the soft velcro could be cut and placed over it. also I have already put sno seal bees wax on the holsters. thanks again

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
I think I need to check the prescription on my glasses... or remind folks to stay away from photo#uck it....

yea, i don't know why it did that. I haven't posted a pic in a while but they used to be clear. does anyone know of another free picture post site? thanks

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
boomer92266 said:
blume357 said:
I think I need to check the prescription on my glasses... or remind folks to stay away from photo#uck it....

yea, i don't know why it did that. I haven't posted a pic in a while but they used to be clear. does anyone know of another free picture post site? thanks

Imgur.com is what I use. Simple, fast, and free.

Cholo

Staff member
↑ Yup, if you disable your ad blocker. For PB? Naaa, I don't think so.

From the sound of some of the comments, it seems to me that these holsters are overpriced :)

BDM1

Single-Sixer
I have a Hunter holster in that style, i like the quality for the price. As far as the part of the snap that is on the inside of the holster, it does not scratch the cylinder, as it has a hard plastic insert, so that the only things touching the cylinder are leather or plastic. I saw the holster you asked about at a local Walmart a few months ago, i thought about getting it as a backup because it was cheaper than a Hunter. But, upon closer examination, i could tell that the leather was noticeably thinner than a Hunter, and did not have a plastic insert on the snap, so i passed.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Cholo said:
↑ Yup, if you disable your ad blocker. For PB? Naaa, I don't think so.

From the sound of some of the comments, it seems to me that these holsters are overpriced :)

I agree the $19.97 price at wal mart is too much but at $8 each while buying 3. I thought they were worth a shot, so far they are doing good, as nylon was at east $8, being on a tight budget I try and get as good a deal as possible

BDM1

Single-Sixer
OOPs, i didn't read your first post accurately! Yea, at $8 each, they are definitely a bargain at that price, you did good!