How to identify a Ruger .22 auto magazine?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I just got a windfall when somebody became very frustrated with a late 1950s 6" blue Standard Model .22 auto that is very nearly mint and offered it locally because it was "frozen up--locked up and he hasn't been able to shoot it for years." I finally got it for $100 plus CA transfer fees and a saltwater spinning rig that I haven't used much.

Knowing that gun fairly well (I bought my first one the minute I was 18 in 1961), I figured that not much can really go wrong with them. I was right--this guy had jammed another model of Ruger magazine into this Standard and couldn't get it out. Fortunately he didn't wreck the gun trying!

So I took it apart when I got it out of CA's "gun jail," removed the wrong mag with help of a little plastic punch and rubber mallet, and put in one of the right magazines. Nearly new 6" gun to go with my 4-incher!

I just don't want any other "mark" of Ruger .22 auto--Bill's original work of genius has always been fine with me.

So I need to know which "extra" magazine I've got. Can't post pix but could email one to an expert. The original magazines I have that work have metal followers and the magazine base is nickeled. This "extra" has a hard black plastic follower and a hard black plastic base. Anybody know what .22 it was made for (I'd like to sell or trade it).

Any advice gratefully accepted!

Mike Armstrong

Which side is the follower thumb piece on? If it's on the left then that is for a A100 frame. If it's on the right that should be for a A54 frame. The frames were made with a slight "groove" in them to allow for the movement of that thumb piece. Jamming the wrong style into the frame will "lock it up".

OOPS, Reread the topic. If it has a hard black plastic follower on the right and is shorter than the normal magazine, then it could be for an SR22.

Thanks, Ron. The follower button is on the left and is metal. Actually this magazine (the "jammer") is a hair LONGER than the one than works in the gun, which has the follower button on the right.

So is the "jammer" made for a later version of the "Standard" than my guns (which are both pretty early), or only for the MKII, or both? (I'd heard that the 10-rd. MKII magazines work in the last run of the "Standard" and MKI Targets, as well as the MKIIs).

contender

Ruger Guru
To add to Ron's info.
The A54 frame was the first design. When the machine wore out that stamped the frame halves,, it was re-designed,, and the mag follower button was put on the opposite side.
The earliest mags only had a slot on one side for the follower button. When they redesigned the frame to the A-100,,, the mags got slots on both sides,, and you could swap the button to either side & use the later mags in EITHER frame design. This continued into the MKII series. The MKII also was designed to accept 10 rounds instead of 9.
So,, it's most likely,, someone put the wrong magazine in that gun without reversing the follower button.

Mike Armstrong said:
Thanks, Ron. The follower button is on the left and is metal. Actually this magazine (the "jammer") is a hair LONGER than the one than works in the gun, which has the follower button on the right.

So is the "jammer" made for a later version of the "Standard" than my guns (which are both pretty early), or only for the MKII, or both? (I'd heard that the 10-rd. MKII magazines work in the last run of the "Standard" and MKI Targets, as well as the MKIIs).

Ok, the jammer magazine has the follower button on the left and is longer. That would then probably then be a MKII magazine as Contender explained and they were made to accept 10 rnds inside of 9. Your correctly fitting magazine is a 9 round with the follower button on the right, correct? If so that means the frame on your standard model is a A54 frame and yes forcing a A100 magazine (having a button on the left and being longer) into the mag well is going to jam it up tight.

If you take the magazine out and look up the magazine well, you can clearly see how the frame was made with the indentation for the follower button. The frames are made in 2 pieces, left and right and then welded together.

Actually you should be able to swap the follower button from the left side to the right side, it's not hard to do and then see it the mag will work in the gun (if it didn't get damaged too bad when getting it out).

all of the mark (standard auto)mags are basically the SAME length, the changes are to the slots and the later MK III the "notch" on the side for the mag catch...some older mags folks have put a LONGER follower in to lock back ( block the bolt face) we've seen this time to time but the mags bodies are the SAME length.....the "extra" shot (10) in the MK IIs the insides were altered to hold one extra round NOT the mag body............
number of reasons why the mag cold have been "jammed" in but seems you got it out, thats all that matters,,,find the magazine that MOST closely looks like the one thatcame with the gun,,,you can email me a picture if that would help........

s9OszBwm.jpg

in4rktUm.jpg

the later MK II apart.......

oGngrozm.jpg

Thanks,Dan! I'm going to try to follow some directions found in a search of this forum to convert the "jammer" into a functioning 10-round clip. Failing that I'm gonna re-assemble it and try to sell it and find an old-style clip to fit my old gun.

The "jammer" didn't get damaged in the process of jamming and removal; it looks new. And I don't seem to care as much about the hold-open feature as some do--I learned from my first Standard to lock the bolt back with the safety. I remember RSOs in the '60s stressing about this feature (and yelling at people who didn't know how to do it!) but I just do it automatically whenever I'm not actually firing or holstering the gun.

Following the directions on another thread, I converted the MKII magazine to fit my "new" Standard and then fired both of my Standards with it. Worked fine! So now I got a second Standard with two magazines for $135!

Thanks for all the help and comments about this--you guys are really the best!

eveled

Hawkeye
I love a happy ending! You got a great deal enjoy the heck out of it.

RSIno1

Hunter
Sounds like the buyer was trying to follow CA lame fixed mag law for assault rifles with his pistol.

For purposes of this section, "fixed magazine" means an ammunition feeding device contained in, or permanently attached to, a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm action