1963 Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Turbojet

Bearcat
Hi all. I am buying a Single Six from a friend. He bought it long ago. It has a 5.5" barrel, driftable rear sight and is numbered 378XXX. It only has the magnum cylinder, which is numbered to the gun. The only markings are 22 cal Single Six. Should there be a 22 LR cylinder with this gun? Can I get one if I want one? It is a three screw model. Is that a good thing? There is no box and it needs a good deep cleaning. Thanks.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
First thing is to get him digging in his closet for the other cyl!

Yes it should have 22 LR cyl. They're fairly easy to find and under $100 on the auctions, ebay, gunbroker, etc. Being an old model is of no consequence re: the cyl, old or new model will work equally well and look the same.

Just measure you cyl overall length precisely from end to end and shop for a cyl no shorter! A few thousandths longer is OK and you can hone down the front gas ring a bit till it fits in your frame.

As far as being an old model, safety is the difference. W/o the new model safety transfer bar, carrying with all six chambers loaded is a no-no. Always load only 5 with an empty chamber under the firing except when shooting in one spot and never leaving the gun loaded with six, on the shooting bench, in a holster, not anywhere.

Turbojet

Bearcat
Thanks Hondo. My friend bought it used a long time ago without the LR cylinder. He was clueless as to what a 3 screw was. When I picked it up from him it had 6 beans in the wheel, hammer all the way down. It was sitting on the back top of the couch. His bed is exactly on the other side of the wall. Best I can tell the gun was about 16 inches from his bald head pointed directly at him as he slept. Been there for a long time. I think I saved his life by buying that gun! I took your advice and found a LR cylinder in excellent condition, early model with the little box and red bag. It shoots great. My question now is while ordering a hammer pivot screw which was all buggered up, the schematic shows a grip panel dowel. Mine is missing and I do not see anyone removing or installing one in the videos. Is this a mistake or does an early model "1963" have this part or not? Thanks for your advice.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Congrats, you have likely saved a fool from being a victim of his own initiative or lack of education about guns.

The grip dowel is in the side of the grip frame near the bottom to locate the grips and keep them from slipping around. All single actions with two piece grips have them. It's not removed normally or for cleaning. If yours is missing, Ruger will send some small parts like that to you for free. Call (336) 949-5200.

Just tap it into place in the hole with a small hammer.