sub-sonic 22HP in a short barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I shot my SR22 a couple of times w/o ear protection in an effort to rid my place of a pesky varmint(unfortunately unsuccessfully) and realized I'd forgotten just how LOUD the little bugger is. It just seems that even with the tiny powder charge in a 22HV, there's a lot of powder burning outside the bore. Looking at how well CCI sub-sonic HP performs from my muffled 22/45, I've decided to try some of that in the little SR and see if it cycles and is reasonably accurate.
I already know the sub-sonic's muzzle blast from the 4" 22/45 open muzzle is approximately at the level of the CCI low noise type ammo but the bullet performance is significantly better and it has the "umph" to cycle the slide.

I got sidetracked yesterday and then the kids showed up to generate empty 22 brass. I hope to get some function testing done today. We have maybe 1/2 dozen varieties of sub-sonic HP ammo but I really like the way CCI performs. If sub-sonic won't cycle, that's then end of the story.

Update: I did a bit of function testing today. Both RWS and CCI sub-sonic HP functioned well. Ejection was maybe a little weak but the slide cycled and locked open on an empty mag every time. The RWS seemed a bit milder both in noise and recoil. Both CCI and RWS displayed a significant sound reduction. Not in any way "ear safe" but notably lower db and muzzle blast than the sub-sonic.
Next will be a sand bag accuracy review and some terminal performance comparisons. As it is, I've replaced the Federal HVHP with RWS sub HP. My function testing showed that the RWS had similar POI to the Federal at 7 yards.

you're welcome
To put this in perspective, the little SR22 isn't a regular carry gun but it is handy to slip on my belt for a quick run to town or now when I'm hauling grain and don't want a bigger, bulkier gun hanging on me. It's not a "bad side of town" type pistol by any means but I've dispatched a few varmints around the farm with it. It's just SO loud with HV and under these circumstances, stopping to install ear plugs isn't an option.