which one would you get?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i went to my local shop to get a 22lr handgun, hoping for a wrangler but a no go on that. what they had has me puzzled on which one since they are close to price with each other. a used like new, a Smith & Wesson SW22 Victory Fiber Optic 22 LR Full-Sized 10-Round Pistol with 4 magazines for $291.50 otd, the other is brand new Ruger MARK IV™ 22/45 with the easy take down button and 2 magazines for $318.00 otd. which one would be a better deal? thanks

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Do you expect Ruger folk to suggest the S&W? Of course the MKIV of the 2 you list. If you went to get a Wrangler, keep looking, they are out there.

contender

Ruger Guru
Having owned a S&W 22, and Miss Penny still owning her's,, I'd opt for the Ruger. Why? Better built,, , and easier to work on IF,, IF,, necessary. Plus,, the S&W has a nylon recoil buffer piece that they often ship a spare with new guns,, for when one wears out.

Get the Ruger. I have a Browning Buckmark with a nylon buffer. They are a complete pain when you take the gun apart for cleaning.

Edited to add: I'm willing to bet there are more aftermarket accessories for the Ruger, than the Smith and Wesson.

The Ruger 22/45 (at least the 2 &3 series) are absolute "tanks" when it comes to field use. All day, every day dusty, wet, hot, cold, sweaty palms, or gloves--the 22/45 is good to go. I don't own a S&W 22 or Buckmark since I haven't seen a need to switch from the 22/45 so maybe(?) those are just as good--I'm just don't feel the Ruger can be beat for my needs.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
All fine 21st century American made guns. I don't believe Browning recommends disassembly requiring the level of the buffer, nor have I needed to even after 20 years of shooting mine, but they'll provide that level of cleaning once free anyway.
Sorry your retailer can't find a Wrangler. Around here people buy a rifle and take their change in Ruger Wranglers! :wink:

RandyP

Bearcat
Gotta say I prefer the Mark Classic series pistols to the 22/45 configuration so that gets my vote. the IV series DOES eliminate the one 'hassle' of takedown so that's a super plus. That said the S&W offering is also a 'last a lifetime' firearm.

I DID choose to replace the $3 nylon buffer in my Buckmark after 20 or 30 thousand rounds just 'cuz it IS a $3 wear item. Super simple job.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
thanks everyone, I decided to keep saving and get ammo with the gun, then my wife decided to get me an early Christmas present. She found a Wrangler at Rural King, I now have a new Wrangler which is what I wanted in the beginning but just couldn't find any. I used my money to get holster and lots of ammo. thanks again.

boomer92266 said:
thanks everyone, I decided to keep saving and get ammo with the gun, then my wife decided to get me an early Christmas present. She found a Wrangler at Rural King, I now have a new Wrangler which is what I wanted in the beginning but just couldn't find any. I used my money to get holster and lots of ammo. thanks again.

Which color?

When are you getting the other two colors? :lol:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Gator89 said:
boomer92266 said:

Which color?

When are you getting the other two colors? :lol:

i got the black, don't know on the others, probably late next year.

BDM1

Single-Sixer
I don't own either one, but i would choose the Ruger without question. The fact of the matter is that the S&W looks ugly to me, and, yes, looks matter, at least to me.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Valmet said:
Glad you ended up getting what you'd originally wanted OP.

Yes! And what a wife!! When they get their teeth into something like finding what they want, don't get in their way.......

My wife bought me Kopec's Colt SAA book, leather bound and with signature!

Latest posts