Can I use the VQ extended magazine release

Help Support Ruger Forum:

45flattop

Single-Sixer
On a Mark 1 even though its labeled for MK11s and MK111s only? it would
surely make life more fun if I could, thanks in advance.

AHHH, correct me if I'm wrong but MK1 has a mag release on the butt and MK2/3 has a thumb button mag release next to the trigger guard?????
I haven't handled a MK1 for 10-15 years so a little hazy on that.

9x19

Hunter
I'm guessing it's been awhile since you handled a MK II as well... Standard models, Mk Is, and Mk IIs all have the heel type magazine latch/release.

The push-button release didn't get added until the Mk III series. So no, an extended release for the Mk III will not fit a Mk I (or Mk II)

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm not familiar with the VQ extended mag release.

HOWEVER,, there is/was an aftermarket mag release made for the MKI's & MKII's that you changed out the butt push button, filed a shallow groove in the plastic factory grip panel, then added a thumb piece. It made a NICE thumb mag release for the MKI's & II's.

The 22/45 was the first model offered with the side button release. It was in the MKII era. The models that were not part of the 22/45 design used the butt push button mag release. Which type is the VQ extended piece supposed to fit?

45flattop

Single-Sixer
Thanks everyone for the answers, the VQ packaging is apparently mislabeled
since it obviously when I studied the issue will not work at all on a MKIII but
will on both MKIs and MKIIs with the heel release.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
9x19 said:
I'm guessing it's been awhile since you handled a MK II as well... Standard models, Mk Is, and Mk IIs all have the heel type magazine latch/release.

The push-button release didn't get added until the Mk III series. So no, an extended release for the Mk III will not fit a Mk I (or Mk II)

Actually I have several MKII models that get MUCH more use than my original
MkI(technically an RST-4) dating from the MKI era a decade or more before
the MKII ever made an appearance. I do know that the MKIII and later Marks
don't have the heel of the grip style release, my question was whether or not
I could us the VQ extended magazine release on the MKI as I have on these
several MKIIs.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
There are several styles of extended magazine releases available for the Standard, Mk I and MkII heel-release guns. Majestic makes one of the best IMO.
As always with Ruger guns, a phone call to the company specifying which model you are modifying is the best way to ensure satisfaction. A friend in the CS business relates that most customers really aren't aware what they have, or how many different model revisions there are.

hboswell

Bearcat
Yes. I have them on all of my Mark ll's and both of my Mark l's. Too bad they don't make them anymore. I picked up a couple extra on closeout for $5 ea.

45flattop

Single-Sixer
hboswell said:
Yes. I have them on all of my Mark ll's and both of my Mark l's. Too bad they don't make them anymore. I picked up a couple extra on closeout for $5 ea.

Sorry to have it confirmed that VQ no longer makes them, care to sell one of
your spares, I don't recall what VQ charged for them but I'd be willing to pay
their old price so you could make a nice quick profit?