Serial Number Identification

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I am researching for an estate and I have listed a Ruger 22 sn 806xx. Is there any way to tell what it is, single six, semiauto, etc? It is a pistol.

Thanks,

Bill

hittman

Staff member
Well Bill the model of the gun is stamped on it .....

Single Six
MK I
Standard Auto

Etc

.....I'm guessing you know the s/n only??

If it's truly a "pistol" it must be a standard auto.
If it were a Single Six it'd be properly labeled as a revolver.

NO you cannot without seeing the model itself...one of the basic reasons the Gun Control ACT of 1968 , companies such as Ruger did not make different for each model thus you can have a Ruger .22 cal serial number #1234 and NOT know if its a Single Six, and Standard auto (Rst-4) or Bearcat, etc..........you NEED more information ( best to SEE,touch, feel the gun itself to make a proper identification or even a 'condition' value...) 8) :roll: :wink:

I know as there was a RUger 22 stolen years ago, and one was in Canada, and the other was in Florida,BOTH the same serial number and further investigation found out ONE was a pistol ( semi auto) and the other was a revolver, same numbers :?
( Explain that to the arresting officer) :oops:

yes, you say in your last sentence a "pistol" so should be an RST -4 OR maybe a Mark I, if its a target gun............. :roll:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Welcometo the forum.

At this point it's just a handgun.

If it only chambers one round at a time like a single shot or semi auto, then it's a pistol.

If it chambers a cylinder full, then it's a revolver.

Members above are correct. For example:

If it's a single action .22 revolver with a cylinder that revolves and has 6 holes in it, it's a "Single Six" revolver. The model name is roll marked on the left side of the frame below the cyl. If that's the case, it's a Single Six made in 1957. It has a rear sight that is windage-only adjustable by tapping it from side to side. Is that what it is?

If #806xx is a pistol, it's some other model.

I am involved with an estate and this Handgun serial number apprears on a permit, but we can't find the gun. Trying to find out exactly what we are looking for.

Thanks, I am going to call Ruger.

Bill

wow, sounds like an old Penna or Michigan "Handgun Owners ID Card" simply says Ruger 22 caliber handgun..........wow and that why we got the 68GCA :?

without MORE info, like we all said above, Ruger won't know either.... :wink:

Maybe the owner kept the paper work and the gun is LONG gone,,,good luck in your search 8)

street

Hunter
Ruger came through with the model, caliber, barrel length and date it shipped from factory.

Bill
That gun, as Hondo44 said, could be a standard Ruger Auto, with a 4 3/4 in. bl. or a Single-Six with a 5 1/2 in bl. or a Bearcat. All three guns would have that serial number. It looks as if Ruger just picked one and gave you that information. It would all depend on what information that you gave Ruger for them to come up with that particular gun. So be careful that may not be the model that you are looking for.

chet15

Hawkeye
806xxx would be a Old Model fixed sight Single-Six.
It will say Single-Six on the left side of the cylinder frame.
They came in five flavors, four convertibles in the models RSS4X, RSS5X, RSSMX and RSS9X depending on barrel length and also the RSS5W which was a .22 LR only with 5-1/2" barrel.
Chet15

street

Hunter
rugerguy said:
Chad, the OP stated his gun was a 5 digit number #80,6xx............. :wink:
Yes! With a 5 digit serial number it could be one of 3 different guns, as stated above.