FarrowTech Ruger Mark 3/4 Charging handle mini review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RandyP

Bearcat
I like my Mark III but my aging fingers have always had a slight issue manipulating the charging handle. The $20 polymer 3D printed FarrowTech handle looked like a winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b3uYOwjIUU

Purchasing link is in the video description. Price includes shipping. The handle shipped via USPS the same day I ordered it, and I had it in hand shortly thereafter.

Once I found/bought the necessary but not supplied .050 allen wrench, the install was beyond simple and it looks like it will be more than robust enough for my use. The black material used looks great too. Makes charging the pistol a super-easy and comfortable process now. I recommend it - would probably help anyone who has issues chambering a round.

Oh, yes, I am aware of the Tandemkross $50 aluminum version of this item. It will be my fallback if the polymer one should ever fail. For now that $30 I saved can go for rimfire ammo.

Considering the number of times I've pinched my fingers letting the bolt close on an empty chamber, I probably need something like that. Unfortunately, all the ones I've seen appear to be "range only" use.

RandyP

Bearcat
"Unfortunately, all the ones I've seen appear to be "range only" use."

Not exactly sure what that means? Other than it does make the pistol a bit longer, it installs as a 'semi-permanent' accessory. I won't be removing it for storage or anything. The gun still fits into its usual padded zipper case.

"Semi-permanent" meaning it can be easily removed using the required allen wrench. It's not like it's drilled and tapped to the bolt or welded or anything.

I was referring to the likelihood of a pistol with the "ears" attached will be difficult to holster and carry. The attachments with the "loop" would be less obtrusive but also less handy when wearing gloves.
I'm not discounting the need or advantages of such attachments.

RandyP

Bearcat
I just now tried the handle while I wore gloves, not the slim mechanics kind the creator wears in the product video, but my normal insulated winter gloves, and charging the pistol was super simple. Much easier for ME to accomplish than with the handle removed.

I don't holster carry my Ruger Mark III so I can't speak to that situation.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
For the able-bodied, they are optional of course. Dino Longueira (owner of MA) designed his model for so many returning vets unable to grip the Ruger's bolt for a day of fun in the sun.
I'm always amazed Ruger didn't provide a similar product considering similar impetus. Hats off to Dino!