Ruger Precision Rifle in .22lr question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

louiethelump

Buckeye
I am giving serious consideration of purchasing a new Precision Rifle by Ruger in .22lr. In reading the description I see that it comes with a scope base with a built in 20 MOA downward slope to it. I presume this is for long range use with the .22 lr allowing zero of scope.

My question: how much is this (rather extreme in my thoughts) built in adjustment going to impact my use of the rifle and scope zeroing at the 25 to 50 yards I will be using it at? I plan on a 2.5 Power compact scope and will be using it for bolt action practice and general use.

If there is much discussion of these rifles on this forum I have not been able to find it.

Thanks.

I am not trying to be a smart azz, but why would you want the Precision Rimfire for shooting at 25-50 yds? It was made to be a long distance shooter. A Ruger American rimfire or a 77/22 would probably be more than adequate for the distances you want to shoot.

To answer your question, it depends on how much adjustment is in your scope. If you center the adjustments on your scope, the 20 MOA rail will cause your shots to be about 20 inches high at 100 yds, not sure what it would be shooting at 50 or 25. I have one, and I sighted it in at 100 yds just fine with a Barska 1.5-6X scope. I can put 10 rounds in the size of a nickel when I do things right.

I love the rifle but for shooting at shorter distances, I'll pull out my American rimfire, one of my 10/22's or my Ruger Charger with a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot.

recumbent

Buckeye
You are going to need a lot better scope with more elevation travel than a 2.5x compact scope has.
Probably a scope with a 30mm tube they have more adjustment range.
For 25 or 50 yard shooting I'd get a Ruger American.

vaguru

Bearcat
First off, the RPR comes with a 30 MOA rail, not a 20.

Secondly, I have installed a few different scopes on this rifle, none had a problem sighting in 25 to 50 yds. I have used Leupold M8-24 in high rings, Hawke Vantage 3-9 x 40AO in high rings and currently use a Hawke Vantage SF 6-24X44 in Weaver Extra High Quad rings without issue, my current NRL22 setup. The other scopes were installed for testing while waiting on the Vantage SF to arrive.

My son also has the same RPR Hawke Vantage SF setup and has no problem with sight in either.

I see no problem with 1" tube scopes on this rifle, but I do agree that this rifle requires more than 2.5 power to take advantage of its potential.