C&R Ruger MK I Target Auto grip question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I snagged a D serial number MK I Target auto. But it has grips for a right handed shooter. So also found some Pachmayrs on ebay. When I went to install the grips, I noticed that the screw holes on the right side are not symmetric with the screw holes on the left side. The Ruger wood grips accounted for that but the Pachmayrs do not. What's confusing is the original box says the Pachmayrs are for a RST 22 and the grips have Ruger 22 on the underside.

Thoughts? suggestions? Thanks for any advice.

Oh a picture of my prize

Ruger%20MKI%20cnr.jpg

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Your gun has the original "A54" gripframe. The Pachmayr grips fit the later A100 grip frame.
If the bottom left grip screw is lower than the right, it is the A54, if the bottom right screw is lower than the left, it is the A100.

Many here will note the "D" late stamp in the pre-prefix serial number.

BTW, the thumbrest grips (thumbrest on the left panel) are quite sought-after, in top condition. Try not to damage them?

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I have it's younger brother. I bought it brand new in 1976. It has seen countless rounds. The only thing I have done to it is clean and shoot it. My daughter fell in love with it when she first started shooting a couple years ago. The unmodified trigger breaks clean and smooth at 2 1/2 lbs.

The walnut grips are in good shape, but show the signs of many trips to the range.

My daughter has moved on to a new love, my Springfield 1911, but still enjoys shooting the Mark I most trips to the range.

I love watching her shoot a full sized .45 one handed, and doing it very well.

Nice gun, and good info from 'sam' above, can always tell at a glance just what frame is on the gun by the location of the bottom holes...your gun is from around the 1967-68 era and just may have the neck feathers on the black eagle grip medallion.........can always take off the thumb rest grip and find a corresponding walnut "flat" left grip panel and then the gun would be ambidextrous for us "lefties"
and yes the "D" means there is another gun out there with the same serial number would have to check the RENE as it may be the RST-4 series??? not real sure,maybe Chad will chime in....again, NICE gun, and should be great shooter :wink:

45flattop

Single-Sixer
I passed like an idiot on its duplicate in late 1967 or early 1968, can't be sure which
just now, I thought the tapered barrel looked "cooler" but at that age what the heck
did I know? With the 3/4" inch barrel it looked sort of Lugerish
to my uninformed eyes, still have it with more rounds through it than I can count
and it is still shooting 3/4" groups with good ammunition from a rest at 25 yards.
The original black plastic / hard rubber grips succumbed to a bit too much WD40
and essentially disintegrated, I wish I had kept the grip medallion though and when
I called Ruger to order a replacement set, all they had were the checkered walnut
for ambidextrous use.