Single 9/Single ten question?????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

louiethelump

Buckeye
I want a single nine with a shorter barrel.

I know I can have the barrel shortened, please save band width by not telling me this, and also not telling me the 22 magnum is no good out of a short barrel. I know better.

The question: can I take the pawl and cylinder from the single ten short barrel that I have, and drop it into the single nine and put the single nine parts into the single ten? We will presume the cylinders are the same length. This would give me a 4 5/8" nine shot .22 magnum and a ten shot long barrel 22lr.

Has anyone looked at doing this or done this???

Real answers are appreciated.

G2

Hunter
I see no reason why not,
I have a KNR4 that is a convertible 22lr/mag,,,
and a 3.6" blackbird convertible that most of the time it has its MAG cylinder installed. I really like the short barrel with MAGNUMS.

Recently have been building a 12" BUNTLINE MAG BISLEY, utilizing a 10/22 Barrel with its Barrel Band, thought about making it a 9 shot magnum, and I still might, especially if a donor cylinder were to show up for a decent price. It seems weird to get cheap on a cylinder when what this thing has cost so far is ridicules :roll: ,,,but 100+ $$ more for 3 more before reloading, nahhh. Plus if I want, I can still shoot 22lr, Options. :wink:

The ONLY hiccup I can sorta see is the left side nomenclature would be incorrect.

I guess one could just swap the barrels keeping everything correct except the label on the end of the box. :roll: ... :D

louiethelump

Buckeye
Thanks. If I did a swap it would be to keep and use, not for resale so the box does not really matter. I have them all over the place and gave 4 away recently. (Boxes)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
No problem whatsoever.

But G2 suggestion of just swapping barrels is a good one. The likelihood that the bar/cyl gaps won't need adjustment is almost guaranteed since the cyls swap perfectly.
But I understand not wanting to do that, a lot more work if you haven't done it before.

Another thought is to just find another 4 5/8" barrel for the single 9. But again more work and cost involved.

You solution is still the simplest and easiest! In fact, try swapping the cyls w/o the hands first. They may work since the two cyls are only one chamber different.

woodsy

Blackhawk
My only comment concerns that you "know better" about .22 Mag from a short barrel. When you get the time go and look at the website "ballistics by the inch". Some eye-opening facts there.

louiethelump

Buckeye
Yes there are. On both sides of the issue. I go there often. The 22 mag will pretty consistently, with proper ammo selection, produce about 200 or slightly more FPS from the same revolver length barrel. That 200 FPS is enough to push the velocity into the "will expand" category from the "probably won't" category with the same weight .22lr. This is the discussion I wanted to avoid. Anyone can take statistics and make them say what they want them to say.

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
You do what you want that suits your needs and wishes. I have taken SBHs cut barrels down to 4.62" and put aluminum XR3Red grip frames on them to cut weight and change balance, I am glad I did it.