Single Ten

Help Support Ruger Forum:

elmo123

Bearcat
I found out something interesting today while cleaning my Single Ten and Single Six convertible, the SS cylinder fit the ST and indexed properly but the ST cylinder would not carry up in the SS frame. The cylinders were the same length so cylinder/barrel gap will not be a problem and now I can shoot magnums out of the ST.

Mike

woodsy

Blackhawk
If one looks at the testing done by the website "ballistics by the inch" one comes to the conclusion that shooting a .22 Mag in a revolver 6" or shorter is a waste of effort and money. Not much to be gained over a .22LR. I have a Single-Ten and think it is almost perfect as it is. (Did add a red-dot, though, because my eyes are getting quite old.)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Mike,

The ST cyl ratchet has much smaller ratchet teeth and although the SS hand is longer and rotates the cyl 60 degrees with each cycle of the hammer, it must be skipping over the fine teeth.

The ST hand is shorter and rotates the cyl only 36 degrees with each cycle of the hammer, one would expect the SS cyl to not carry up.

Notice the difference in the shape of the hands.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
woodsy said:
If one looks at the testing done by the website "ballistics by the inch" one comes to the conclusion that shooting a .22 Mag in a revolver 6" or shorter is a waste of effort and money. Not much to be gained over a .22LR. I have a Single-Ten and think it is almost perfect as it is. (Did add a red-dot, though, because my eyes are getting quite old.)

I'm glad you mentioned that. I shoot mostly short barrels, most all my Rugers and all of my Single Sixes are 4 5/8" and a few shorter. And I've read about the velocity losses which I have no doubt are true.

We shoot marmots high up in the Sierra Nevada. Because I like the challenge of handguns that's usually what I shoot. We get plenty of shooting no farther than 50 yards or so in the rockslides. Any longer than that we switch to rifles. The first time I went, I used the .22 SS with mini mags or other brands of 22 HV. Although I was nailing them, they didn't stay anchored and could slowly crawl off.

After a couple of hits like that I switched to the 22 Mag convertible cyl and that dropped them dead in their tracks every time. So even with my 4 5/8" barrel, there was quite a difference! I've never changed back for marmots.

elmo123

Bearcat
I am going to try it today after I'm finished shooting LR's and see how it works. I was just curious to see if it would fit because I had both on the workbench at the same time.

I also have a S&W model 17 that I fitted a magnum cylinder and a 4" full lug barrel to. It is more accurate with the magnum ammo than the LR and plinking at 100 yards off hand is no problem. it shoot quite a bit flatter. The cost is more noise and muzzle blast. The WRF round also is pleasant to shoot.

elmo123

Bearcat
I shot 12 rounds out of the magnum cylinder and it was disappointing, low and very large so it was worth a try.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Since serial # 150,000 all Ruger .22s have a .224" groove diameter to shoot both .22s and .22 Mags. So that isn't a problem.

I know it was just a one time experiment. But the 10 shot hand may have been holding the mag cyl too tight at full cock for the barrel forcing cone to do its job of aligning the bullets from the chambers to the barrel. A certain amount of play is deigned into production revolvers for that reason.

elmo123

Bearcat
Hondo44 said:
Since serial # 150,000 all Ruger .22s have a .224" groove diameter to shoot both .22s and .22 Mags. So that isn't a problem.

I know it was just a one time experiment. But the 10 shot hand may have been holding the mag cyl too tight at full cock for the barrel forcing cone to do its job of aligning the bullets from the chambers to the barrel. A certain amount of play is deigned into production revolvers for that reason.

Thanks, I'll try it some more in the future.

elmo123

Bearcat
I like my Single Six and Bearcat more than I like the Single Ten. The Bearcat is the most fun to shoot.

falrifles

Bearcat
elmo 123: I too have a bearcat and it is a hoot to shoot. Mine is accurate and shoots pretty much POA-POI. Impact is at the very tip of the front sight at 15 yds. My SS was a stainless 4.62 Lipsey's with adjustable sights. Great shooter. Good groups with LR and magnums. Gave it to my son for use with my grandchildren.

To replace that SS, I bought a new blued 6.5 inch model. It had issues with the rear sight and the cylinder. Ruger is replacing it. I'd rather have the shorter barrel but the 6.5 inch barrel will help me get what the .22 magnum has to offer.

woodsy

Blackhawk
falrifles said:
Moey: What did you hate about your Single Ten ? I'm thinking about getting one. I'm not fond of fiber optic sights but that can be changed.
I don't know about Moey, but my Single-Ten is one of my favorite purchases. My eyesight and age (relating to hunting) caused me to install a red-dot. What a shooter!

Moey

Bearcat
Mostly I didn't like the 10 shots! Had cylinder issues, meaning lots of different ammo was hard to extract on several chambers. Wasn't as accurate as I was used to. The sights were awesome though. Put a set on my 17 HMR. I can see!!