10-22 custom build problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Local friend custom built a couple of 10/22s and has magazine problems.

The factory 10 rounders are near impossible to get out of the gun. The BX25 mags are unreliable and he has 4 of each.

Seems to me a gun problem and not a mag problem.

What should he look for as a fix? I've not seen the guns so can't help you with how they were built or with what components. Was thinking I've maybe heard this subject discussed here before.

Thanks for any help you can give.

wwb

Hunter
Only two things interact with the magazine.... the receiver and the trigger assembly. If the problem did not exist before the change, then it has to be the trigger assembly (assuming the receiver was not altered). If it was a problem before, then it's the receiver, and it should go back to Ruger.

hittman

Staff member
Found it's a Ruger trigger and Tactical Solutions received so he'll fiddle with it some.
Thanks.

9x19

Hunter
First thing to try is inserting/removing a magazine with the action removed from the stock.

If they seat/unlatch smoothly outside the stock, then the stock's magazine well opening needs to be opened up a bit... sometimes it's just the corners, sometimes it's the full length of both sides.

I was thinking about the stock as well. I have some stocks where I've needed to enlarge the opening for the magazine. A Dremel with a sanding drum worked well for this.

Latest posts