Ruger MK I - Price Check

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cookster

Bearcat
Hello!

Hope everyone is having a great summer!!

I came across a MK I at the LGS today and would like to validate the price with the Ruger hive here before making a decision on it.

Blued
4.75" barrel
15- s/n
one Ruger 9 rnd mag
no box / no manual
No marks, scratches or blems anywhere
Inside the chamber and barrel is perfect
Excellent condition

Action is smooth and trigger feels nice.

It looks it was taken to the range once, if even that.

The shop is asking $199.00

I would have already bought it if I knew about mag availabilty and price earlier today, but now I know that mags are readily available and reasonably priced.

I have done some due-diligence and it seems like a pretty fair price.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Rob

Cookster

Bearcat
Thank you Blackhawk!

I should have also asked if there was any 'collectability' value to it. Yes, I know it's not a Faberge Egg, but are folks eager to pick MK I's up, just because.

It's mfr. year is the same as my graduation from HS, so there's a whiff of nostalgia there for me (oh SNAP!, I'm getting old).

Cookster, as for "collectability", in the condition you are buying it, not really, (no box and papers, etc.). The Mark I is though pretty highly sought after, mainly because of its simplicity. They are great shooters and you'll have a lot of fun with it for many, many years.

Oh, and by the way, the "name" below the posters forum name is just an indication of how many posts they have on the forum. Notice under your forum name of "Cookster" it is "Bearcat" because of your number of posts. Notice the name under Contenders and my forum name and notice the number of posts. The longer you stay here on the forum and your posts increase, that "moniker" will change.

By the way, welcome to the best of the Ruger forums. If you can't find an answer here about anything Ruger, it doesn't exist. Another great forum and organization is the Ruger Owners and Collectors Society (ROCS). It IS NOT just for collectors of Rugers, it is for all Ruger lovers. Go here to read about us:

https://www.rugersociety.com

Cookster

Bearcat
Hi Ron,

Thank you for your reply, and taking the time to provide information on the Mark I and also the other information pertaining to the forum!

The first Ruger that I purchased was a previously owned Ruger Bearcat in SS (the newer version), and it is likely the reason why I joined the forum in the first place, to do some research on it.

I suppose it's fitting then that my given 'participation' moniker is "Bearcat".

I have since purchase a Ruger LCP and an SR22, and along with the Mark I, am considering a Security Six SS in .22 lr and WMR (likely one or the other).

Thank you too for your Service, sir!!

Best Regards,

RobInPA (a screen handle I sometimes use on other forums)

kevin masten

Blackhawk
In addition to the above: are you sure you have a MKI and not a standard model? The MKI had either a 5 1/2 or a 6 7/8" barrel. Still for a standard of that vintage $199 is not a bad price. A true MKI with adjustable sights will bring more in the condition describe.

If it is a 4 3/4" bbl it would be a "Standard" not a MKI.

I noticed you said "am considering a Security Six SS in .22 lr and WMR (likely one or the other)" Sorry to say but the Six series revolvers (Security Six, Police Service Six and Speed Six) were not made in .22LR or .22WMR. I would love to have some in .22LR, those would be some great revolvers.

Now that is not to say that one couldn't be built but it would have to be a custom barrel and cylinder and might be a tad expensive to do.

You can get the LCR in .22LR, as well as the GP100 and SP101. All are pretty popular revolvers.

$200 sounds like a reasonable price. There seems to be the idea floating around that the first model pistols (Standards and MKIs) are "collectible" no matter what the condition. I've seen folks asking $400 -$500 for some pretty rough common specimens.

BTW, the model name would be RST-4.