Mk II Competition Target Slab Side

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
My wife bought the subject gun many years ago because she like the way it looked. Of course she maybe shot it once and that was it. I believe the bbl is 6 7/8" or so. My question is: what makes it "special" i.e. Competition Target? Does it have a "spec'd- out" barrel or chamber? Or, is it just the usual marketing baloney..???
THANKS,
J.

contender

Ruger Guru
I think it was more of a marketing design. Make it look different,, and fit the criteria for a match gun,, (weight???) Give it a fancy name.
But I will say that I got one way back when they came out,, & it quickly became my daily truck gun,, and still is. I've shot thousands of rounds through mine,, including in our club competitions. It's one of the best ones I own.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Adjustable trigger, countersunk bore, scope base & rings. That's about it mechanically. The flats on the barrel came along in '98 or so.

Johnnu2

Hunter
THANKS guys....
I must be getting old; I never noticed that it had an adjustable trigger.... Gonna go and take a look once I get my morning coffee down and I can see better :)))
p.s. it does shoot awfully good; I put a reflex site on it years ago.

J

Let's not forget that it was also drilled/tapped for Ruger scope base, came w/base and rings for mounting and optic.

At the time this gun came out, I think that was somewhat unusual.

Johnnu2

Hunter
RUT.... I didn't go and check our Mk II competition, but I did Google the 'adjustable trigger' and was able to find a write up that said you could make adjustments by taking the bbl off the receiver and working magic to the trigger based on some instructions. Needless to say, the write up said that the amount of difficulty makes the minimal amount of adjustment USELESS.
J

RUT

Single-Sixer
Thanks J. In my case, I've installed VQ trigger components in all four of my Mark ll's and so far I've been quite happy with the results. In most cases they're in the ~2 lb. or slightly under range which is plenty good enough for me. :)

Dan in MI

Staff member
Johnnu2 said:
RUT.... I didn't go and check our Mk II competition, but I did Google the 'adjustable trigger' and was able to find a write up that said you could make adjustments by taking the bbl off the receiver and working magic to the trigger based on some instructions. Needless to say, the write up said that the amount of difficulty makes the minimal amount of adjustment USELESS.
J

I'd say the writer didn't have a clue how to work on a MK series.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Dan in MI said:
Johnnu2 said:
J

I'd say the writer didn't have a clue how to work on a MK series.

Maybe he was just lazy...... :)

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Stating that the Ruger Mark II Target trigger is adjustable is sorta a misnomer. There is a screw in the triggers front top face, but the ONLY adjustment it provides for is over-travel. It does nothing for trigger pull weight or pre-travel, and it does require some fiddling around with to get adjustment correct. Because of the the time involved and where the screw is located, some just don't want to mess with it, but, once over-travel is set, it stays that way until somebody changes the setting:

xshGvHPl.jpg

Johnnu2

Hunter
Thanks Dennis.....
I'm gonna leave it alone since it's more than adequate for my needs. Really appreciate the info and the great pics............
J.