Depression-era .22LR ammo box- surprisingly preserved

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hpman66

Hunter
I can remember C-I-L 22LR ammo from OTASCO for 50 cents a box and $5.00 a brick. I fact, I still have a brand new brick-I am doubtful as to the reliability of this ammo as it was stored in an unheated/non-air conditioned garage over many, many, etc. years. I have fired some C-I-L ammo from a semi-heated/no air garage and all went bang. :eek: :shock: :mrgreen:

mac66

Single-Sixer
I have a box of 22s like that. About 20 years ago a neighbor's widow gave me a box filled with old boxes of 22s and paper shotgun shells. The 22s were long, shorts and long rifles of various makes. I knew they were old, didn't realize some were from the 1930s. Figured they were all 50's and 60's stuff. I put them together for a group shot and stashed them away again ever since. The boxes shown are full. The loose rounds were in an old coffee tin that came with them.

Edited to add... I looked up the 22 boxes on a collectors website. The newest box is the Peters in the blue box, it's from 1940. The Remington Kleanbore is from 1930. The Peters Target in the red box is from 1939. The Sears Sta-Klean box is from 1932. The Winchester's are from 1939 and the Western boxes are from 1937.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Back in the mid to late 50's I started collecting full boxes of .22 rimfire ammunition, all full boxes. Some were given to me from my Uncles and others I poached from from full bricks before it all got shot up, and then those from bricks of target ammunition I used on a VFW rifle team:
u6aKruml.jpg

f0sB4Wnl.jpg

EAdc6Bql.jpg

bkGYPbbl.jpg

1PORUkCl.jpg

Mo9YRxIl.jpg

There's over 100 boxes in this display case and a whole bunch more in 50 Cal. ammunition cans. Has onyone seen these before?:

j0Ja7o7l.jpg

Remington made a few rifles, Model 610, 611 for the .267 Remington rimfire but never really marketed any.

hpman66

Hunter
http://22box-id.com/
This is the 22 Box Identification Guide link that is spoken about in the above video on identifying .22LR ammo boxes.