RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:35 pm 
Hunter

Been thinking about gifting myself a new .22 rifle lately and narrowed it down to a Ruger American or 10/22. Was about to go buy a 10/22 off the rack when I found an American .22 LR with some finish wear but complete and (allegedly) with a good bore on Gunbroker starting at $135.00. I guess everybody else was asleep because I actually won the darn thing. The finish wear doesn't hurt my feelings at all since this rifle is going to be my farm companion. Don't know if I'm going to scope it or use sights just yet.

So, what do I have here? Any known trouble spots with them? If it shoots as well as my Henry H001T I'll be quite happy.

"It ain't who shoots first and it ain't who shoots most; it's who HITS first. A corollary - the sooner you kill that SOB, the sooner he'll quit shooting at you. The ability to hit what you're shooting at trumps all others, and hanging 47 accessories from a cheese-grater forearm and having a 30 round magazine won't help that - practice will." -Rugerforum.com member WWB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:19 am 
Buckeye

I have 2 in .22 and one in .22wmr and have no issues. Good choice .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:24 am 
Hunter

Both of mine, 22 compact and regular 17 HMR, shoot very well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:13 am 
Hunter

Thanks a lot. My Henry really likes the 1435 fps 40 grain loads from Winchester and Browning. I have read that a lot of rifles don't shoot the faster rounds well. I hope the American likes them, they hit with authority.

"It ain't who shoots first and it ain't who shoots most; it's who HITS first. A corollary - the sooner you kill that SOB, the sooner he'll quit shooting at you. The ability to hit what you're shooting at trumps all others, and hanging 47 accessories from a cheese-grater forearm and having a 30 round magazine won't help that - practice will." -Rugerforum.com member WWB

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:07 pm 
Hawkeye

My RAR 22lr shoots Federal AutoMatch pretty good. Not as good as Aguila 40 grain sub-sonic but pretty good. Blazer HV is only mediocre and I haven't tried other HV ammo.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:22 am 
Hunter

Thanks. The wife's 10-22 shoots great with Mini Mags but doesn't like anything faster.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:30 pm 
Hunter

ETA for the rifle is thursday. Already ordered a Williams FP-GR for it like my Henry.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:26 am 
Hunter

The fun store called and said the rifle was in, so I hustled on over and picked it up. My receiver sight hasn't come in yet, so I got the issue open sights sighted in. It likes the rear leaf all the way up, fortunately the windage was perfect. This is a typical group at 40 yards rested on shooting sticks. Nothing special, but as good as I can do with any other gun i have ever tried. Ammo is Winchester Power Point hyper velocity, which hits hard and shoots well for me out of non-autoloaders.

Very happy so far, looking forward to trying the receiver sight and more types of ammo in it!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:06 pm 
Buckeye

I am glad you like it :D . can't really go wrong with a Ruger :lol: :lol: :lol: !!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:12 am 
Hunter

Thanks. The stock has some scuffs and scratches and I dont care for generic black plastic. Sanded it down and applied the first coat of paint yesterday. Color is Krylon Fusion matte Glacier Gray.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:06 pm 
Buckeye

FergusonTO35 wrote:
Thanks. The stock has some scuffs and scratches and I dont care for generic black plastic. Sanded it down and applied the first coat of paint yesterday. Color is Krylon Fusion matte Glacier Gray.

Post us a pic when its completed .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:10 pm 
Hunter

+1 on pics. I did a gold spider web paint on my black stock.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:40 am 
Hawkeye

The blase' stock color of my RAR stock is broken up by different colored splotches of mud, a few splatters of blood, and some other "unidentified substances" which have accumulated over the time I've been using it. Probably not nearly as attractive as your "gold spider web" application.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:36 am 
Hunter

You got it! Probably be next week though as I take my time on painting stocks. I find the key to a good rattle can job is to spray super light/almost translucent coats and allow to dry for 48 hours between coats.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:03 pm 
Hawkeye

It's not a big deal if it gets marred later--just rough up and clean the area and give it another coat.