Ejector rod question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dullknife44

Bearcat
:? COULD USE SOME HELP

Bought a New Model (?) Single Six, 2XX-XXXXX, several months ago, but just got around to looking at it yesterday. To my dismay, the ejector rod is miss aligned with the chambers. Is this a common malady with this model, or am I just lucky? Can a common gunsmith do the repair, or will I need to search for a qualified pistol-smith?
The signs were all there -- a scuff at the base of the ejector housing and a burr on the screw near the top of the housing. THIS STUPID OLD MAN JUST MISSED 'EM!!! DAH DAH DAH.............. :lol:

God Bless

dullknife44

could use a bit more info, hard to tell with out 'seeing' the gun and issue in question........with the cylinder out does the ejector rod go all the way back??? next just where is the end hitting ( if it does go all the way back) you do know you have to turn the cylinder slightly as you eject the empties,,,,,,both the bore of the barrel AND the centerline of the housing do NOT correspond....we got used to this back in the late 1950s....now with reverse pawl indexing, whatever, the cylinders rotation will act differently on the new guns ( not all models) again,,,,would have to see it .....if its a stainless gun you can buff/polish out any of the scuffs or screw slot "boogers" could do that in less time than it took to try and type this all out.........

dullknife44

Bearcat
Hey Guru,

Thank-you for taking the time for such a helpful reply. For starters,no, I've not had the cylinder out, so haven't yet learned that step. And if I understood your other question, the ejector rod does not get "hung up", so easily return to its' latent position.
What I saw was the ejector's tip miss aligned with one of the chambers. But from your comment about the bore/chamber alignment and the ejector rod/chamber alignment, it makes sense. In fact, as I wrote the forum, I wondered if the cylinder, when open, might not be capable of moving chambers in line with the rod.
Thanks again for your time and effort.

God Bless

dullknife44

woodsy

Blackhawk
How old is this Single-Six? If brand new, it came with a manual. If used, the manual is available on the Ruger website. In the manual are the full operating instructions, including how to eject spent cartridges.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
As Dan indicated above, on the new models the loading gate must be opened and the cyl must be turned by hand to align chambers with the loading chute for loading/unloading. Once chambers are aligned with the loading chute, the ejector rod will also be aligned with chambers.

The scuff and burred screw are separate issues. You can send back to Ruger for free to fix those issues, just call them and they'll send you a free mailing label. You'll have it back in 12 days or less.