Return of the Ruger® 10/22® Sporter with 22" barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hpman66

Hunter
Can anyone else remember when Walmart made a run of these way back when? Back then, it was designated a "Rifle" and not a "Carbine".

STAINLESS
https://www.ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/specSheets/1149.html
Lipsey's Distributor Exclusive Ruger® 10/22® Sporter
Model Number: 1149
Caliber: 22 LR

BLUED
https://www.ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/specSheets/1150.html
Lipsey's Distributor Exclusive Ruger® 10/22® Sporter
Model Number: 1150
Caliber: 22 LR

More Distributor Exclusive Models: https://www.ruger.com/products/1022Sporter/models.html

hboswell

Bearcat
Yes I do. As I recall, I picked mine up for around $249. Added the BX trigger and it is my most accurate 10/22.

azleite

Single-Sixer
This topic has interesting timing. I have a Walmart 22 incher stainless I bought back in 2003, I did change out the birch stock for walnut. It's a beautiful gun, not target grade but shoots pretty decent. Yesterday I picked up the blue version with 22" barrel & birch stock. I had one of the older style Ruger tipoff rails that I installed. On that I put a Williams peep with target knobs on that. I figured the picatinny rail that came with gun might be too high & boy was I right. I just got back from the range & it shot 16" high with the sight bottomed out. Gonna ck later to see if Ruger offers a taller front sight. I install recoil buffers in all my 10/22's I have a spare poly trigger group at Brimstone now getting worked over which will end up in this gun-Dave

hittman

Staff member
I'd like to have one of those or even a used one with this longer barrel. Never have seen one for sale though.

I've got a mint skeleton / boat paddle stock that would have it a great looking gun.

magnum711

Bearcat
I bought one of those for my wife. I love it, and shoot it more than my heavy barreled 10/22. It's a nice full sized, light weight rifle.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
I have a Walmart one and traded out the stock for a walnut Deluxe Sporter stock---beautiful piece of wood.

The local Scheel's has been selling these for at least a couple years now.

msp2640

Single-Sixer
I did the opposite of what Rugerfreak and azleite did. I wanted the 22" long barrel in the walnut sporter stock configuration. Since it wasn't even available as a distributor special, I ordered the 1102 model from Bud's. While it was shipping to my FFL, I found a website that has/had new takeoff 10/22 parts and scored a new unfired 22" sporter barrel. I wish I could recall the site, but it was referenced on a post on the RFC forum. I actually had the barrel in hand, before the rifle. I picked the rifle up a week or so later, which had a very nice walnut stock, pulled the short barrel and swapped the longer one on that day. Then life got it the way and it has sat in the safe since. I did pick up another trigger group with the intention of putting upgrade parts in it and keeping the original separate. I have a Williams peep sight for it and want to keep this unscoped. So as it stands, it's a beauty awaiting it final touches, when time allows. Bill in MA

azleite

Single-Sixer
MSP, Not sure which Williams peep you went with. The one I installed has become a trial and error excercise in reference to matching up the front to the rear for height. I had a Williams fiber optic set in my parts bin for a Ruger 96 lever I used to own. I put the front sight on which was .0568. Went to the range Tuesday and where it had been shooting 16" high at 25 yards with the rear bottomed out it was now shooting 10" high. Not gonna work. So I ordered a Tech sight AR style ( adgustable) for it- about $25- that should make it usable. Good luck! Dave